Baby Spotted python wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spotted_pythons

Reaction score
so i got her on the 22th of may and she didnt eat till a month later and then only ate twice and its been about 2-3 weeks since she hasnt eaten and she is only a baby. spine and ribs arent visible which is good, the cage heat is 32-35 hot side and the size is big for her75cmX50cmX50cm but the guy sold it to us and said she would be good. he shed about a week ago but still have an inch left on her tail tip, what do i do please help

Last edited:
First of all. That retained shed on the tip of the tail NEEDS to be addressed!
A nice warm bath with water about 30*C for about 20 minutes should loosen up that skin, perhaps take a damp cloth and rub DOWN the tail to attempt to remove the skin.
Refer to this thread for any help with the shedding process.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/noteworthy-threads-5397/bhp-assist-shed-pic-heavy-190702/
The retained shed would most likely be caused by a husbandry issue.
What is the Cool side temp?
Is there a water bowl/dish in the enclosure big enough for the snake to fit it's body into?

Retained sheds aren't that uncommon, as long as you remove it it should be fine :)

Also with regards to feeding stress may be a factor, how often are you handling her? Also how often are you trying to feed her? If she only just shed, that may be the reason why she has refused food, 2-3 weeks isn't that long for them to go without eating.

I would suggest remove the retained shed, leave her alone for a week and then try to offer her food again, if she doesn't take it leave it another week, if you are offering her food every night that may cause additional stress, goodluck and keep us posted.

How old is baby...she wouldn't wish to eat when coming up to a shed, and they shouldnt eat before a shed, but what lewi said, have to remove the last little bit of skin... how and what are you attempting to feed her and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back