Importing my carpet python to Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazmantis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I moved to Australia from the UK about a year ago and I left my beloved Carpet Python, Pilbara, behind in the UK :-( Obviously Australian immigration laws for animals are very strict (and rightly so too!) but I am really keen to have my snake over here with me (he is the family pet after all!!) Has anyone heard of any ways to bring snakes into the country from abroad? (all above board and legally of course!) I was at a reptile park recently and they had several "exotic" snakes there so there must be a way to import - even if it requires some form of license. (Well, he's not too exotic - after all he is Morelia spilota).

I would really just like to know if there is any possible way to bring my pet over here - I have had him since he was a hatchling and I really don't want to have to sell him.

Thanks,

Caz

There was a thread almost identical to this recently. sorry but the answer is no, no way, not a chance, not even slightly, just no. Only zoos and scientific areas are allowed to import and even they have restrictions and limitations. You'll just have to go apply for the appropriate license and buy a new snake now that you're living here.

Sorry. Its just not going to happen.
Regarding the exotics you see in zoo's and reptile parks, special licence permits some imports for these establishments but the majority of the animals you see have been confiscated after being brought in illegally.

That's what I assumed but I thought it was worth asking. He's not a commodity like a car - it's really not just a case of going and getting a new one so I wanted to make sure I exhausted every option before I gave up. Ah well best I find a decent home for him in the UK then :-(

I really take my hat off to you, I love my snakes very much as well, they are part of my family.
It is nice of you to try and find out if you can bring him over here.
It is a shame you cannot bring him here however I understand our laws as well.

Anyway, I hope you find a nice home for him.

sorry dude i feel for you, it's a right shame.... tbh i think the laws are over the top, especially when it's already a native species

Just because it's native doesn't mean it's fine to bring back remember.
We have some of the strictest quarantine laws in the world for a reason...

unlike everyone else i do acknowledge the fact that i am not NPWS ( or who ever it is making these decisions ) and am in absolutely no position to make a yes or no call on this

who knows if you explain the situation and that it is an australian species and will be kept as a pet on licence for the rest of its life you may get an answer that would shock us all

if this was however going to be aloud there would most likely be some hefty fees and a long time spent in quarantine , for those who think there is no one to offer this service think again there has to be as the op pointed out they have imported exotic reptiles before and they most likely go through these procedures i would think

but please dont get your hopes up either but it is better to call the people in power and take your chances asking them directly rather than to just take what your told here as gospel

You have absolutely no chance of legally getting them in, despite what ever crazed loop hole idea people come up with.

You have absolutely no chance of legally getting them in, despite what ever crazed loop hole idea people come up with.
haha i dont think theres any crazed loop hole , i just realise that im not the authorities unlike the rest of you guys , who knows if they will say no for certain , i know i can admit that i dont ;) and ive simply encouraged him to ask

haha i dont think theres any crazed loop hole , i just realise that im not the authorities unlike the rest of you guys , who knows if they will say no for certain , i know i can admit that i dont ;) and ive simply encouraged him to ask

An individual has as much chance of being allowed to import a pet carpet python as you would a nuclear weapon. It doesn't matter who you ask or who you are the answer will be no.

An individual has as much chance of being allowed to import a pet carpet python as you would a nuclear weapon. It doesn't matter who you ask or who you are the answer will be no.
oh i do realise the answer is most likely going to be no that why i told him not to get his hopes up in my first post , but thats just it , i can only say most likely i can not give a definite answer and i can admit that , can you ?

op just give the authorities a call and maybe shoot them an email trying is better than not

It would depend on how much its worth to you, I am sure if you were a billionaire there would be a way it could be done lol

oh i do realise the answer is most likely going to be no that why i told him not to get his hopes up in my first post , but thats just it , i can only say most likely i can not give a definite answer and i can admit that , can you ?

op just give the authorities a call and maybe shoot them an email trying is better than not
I along with the other 10 or so posters did give a definite answer....

Native species coming back are no different to an exotic, the snake isn't so much of a problem, it's the pests and diseases that come with it.

Who do you think is going to spend all that time, money and effort looking after everyones pets while they're in quarantine?

Last edited:

Just me but I think the op is a SHE !! :shock::)

Hahaha I agree. Still the people who have no idea will always think there is a chance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back