Learning to probe pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanthine

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, all

I'm wondering, would someone be able to teach me to probe? I know the concept behind it, but, obviously, don't have any experience. I live around Ipswich.

At the moment, I'm mainly wondering whether this is the way to go about it. I mean, surely this is a technique taught down the generations. So, if anyone could help me, or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

As a final note, and I don't mean to sound egocentric, but, to a point, I'm not just a random person wanting to learn. I'm one of those masochists which chose to study medicine, so this would be just another clinical skills for me.

Tim

Just look up on youtube how to probe a snake

Seriously ??

Find an experienced herper who has been doing it for a long time to show you how , its not some thing you want to get wrong etc ... A you tube video is not a great way to learn and stupid advice.

This can ONLY be learned from an experienced person that has been keeping snakes for years. Don't be fooled Vets have to learn how to pobe a snake

OH woops, I just looked up on Youtube how to probe a snake, got a probing set and sexed my jungles and they gave me clutch not last year but the year before lol. Its not that hard just get some Vaseline dip your needle into it then stick it up the snakes tail, carefully and slowly of course. probably best to see someone experienced to it first though, and you probably want some to hold the snake aswell. And the youtube Video i watched was done by an experience American carpet python breeder, very informative and went through all the steps in detail, and mentioned what size needles to use for what size snake ect. I will try and get the video.

Last edited:
Seriously ??

Find an experienced herper who has been doing it for a long time to show you how , its not some thing you want to get wrong etc ... A you tube video is not a great way to learn and stupid advice.

This is exactly why I'm asking, rather than purchasing a set of probes, and going trial and error. I wouldn't trust a surgeon who learned from YouTube with my body, and so I wouldn't trust a herper who learned from YouTube with my python.

This is exactly why I'm asking, rather than purchasing a set of probes, and going trial and error. I wouldn't trust a surgeon who learned from YouTube with my body, and so I wouldn't trust a herper who learned from YouTube with my python.

Maybe join your local herp society and ask members there , or find a larger breeder in your area who might help you ...
It is pretty easy to do , but its best if you are shown before you just stick probes in.

Sorry but I disagree with the notion that a U-Tube video is not the way to go. It simply depends on how well the video is in the first place. When someone shows someone in person and explains the technique, the vision one sees and the information given could indeed be replicated in a quality video. It’s not like it’s a hard procedure, far from it.

I live near ipswich and would be more then happy to teach you. Pm me if you like

Sorry but I disagree with the notion that a U-Tube video is not the way to go. It simply depends on how well the video is in the first place. When someone shows someone in person and explains the technique, the vision one sees and the information given could indeed be replicated in a quality video. It’s not like it’s a hard procedure, far from it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I think that a picture is worth a thousand words. I think personally though I would be more comfortable if I had someone with experience there to watch over me the first time.

Seriously ??

Totally agree with you mate, You tube might be great if you want to learn how to change a tap washer but not how to probe a snake. Some of the videos on Youtube are down right dangerous.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Anyone near Elwood Vic experienced in probing tiny pythons? Or know of any vets experienced in such, close to Elwood? Also advising approximate fee whether private or vet would be handy too. Thanks

Anyone near Elwood Vic experienced in probing tiny pythons? Or know of any vets experienced in such, close to Elwood? Also advising approximate fee whether private or vet would be handy too. Thanks
Tiny pythons in my experience are easier to pop than probe, and less likely to cause injury. As for you tube it won't tell u if your doing it wrong an experienced herper will show you if your doing it wrong. Once learnt probing is simple, but must be learnt properly to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back