Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks RedFox :) I had no idea. I will defs check it out next time I get a peek at Steve.

I can't imagine handing him a rat with my hands, I use fairly long pointy tongs. You were very game!

I understand now that Jamie's bluntness was due to a miscommunication on my part and that because of his passion he felt moved to tell me in no uncertain terms that I was doing the wrong thing.

I do appreciate his knowledge and always strive to learn from those more experienced.

I will upload a video next week. It's really not very exciting but hopefully it'll show that I'm not a complete idiot :)

Either that or Steve will bite me for the first time and I will laugh my bum off along with everyone else :p

Yeah it does sound a lot better when you explained it. I had visions of your hatchy being carried around in your pocket all weekend. Lol.

I still feed my hatchie by hand most time just because I find it quicker and easier, but with my adult I used to place the rats on his heat tile while he was in his hide. Let's just say once bitten, twice shy and now I use tongs to do that.

Haha oh dear I can see why people got the wrong impression!

I use tongs just to be safe. I am waiting for the day I get bitten...

I am still curious as to whether I should be turning his heat off at night and not feeding him during winter... Is it more of an adult python thing or should I be doing it now?

I do not heat any of my snakes at night after they turn 12 months old. I also cool all of my snakes (and therefore do not feed) every winter after they turn 12 months old. Other people choose to not cool their snakes unless breeding. I live in Brisbane Queensland to give you a gauge on temperature.
This is what I do

Cool :) that sounds like a good idea i.e. I don't have to do anything for another 6 months hehe.

Not sure if the temperatures up at Mackay get cold enough to brumate so maybe hear the opinion of someone up that way or a place with similar temperatures.

I feed both my womas in their enclosures. I also use coir peat or kritters krumble. All I do is make sure the food item is dry before I feed it to my pythons. That way substrate won't stick to it.

I defrost the rat in water then use a paper towel to dry some of the water and then warm it up with a hair dryer.
I defrost mine on the kitchen window sill, in plastic zip bag, once its ready to go I put the bag in a disposable take away container add some water from the kettle and let it cool down for 10 min or something, the rat is warm Fruitchoc never hesitates booom gone, and no need to dry etc the rodent is in the bag, (tip) don't let your daughter see you weighing down the rat with her Coffee cup, :) haha got in trouble for that.....

I feed all my Pythons in their enclosures. Never had a problem with them thinking my hand is food.
I also use the coir peat as substrate. I just warm the feed item up in hot water. Dry it off with paper towel, then offer it up.
At times the substrate has gotten stuck to the food item. But it has never caused any problems. Honestly they'd eat worse pieces of debris in the wild anyway.

I feed my coastals in their enclosures. I just have a space cleared of substrate and I dry the feed so nothing sticks to it. Don't see the point of moving them around, rather let em eat and chill.

so he doesn't get distracted by any other movement; as you know once womas smell food they strike at anything that moves

I know what you mean! Had my woma drop his rat on 2 separate occasions as someone walked by his enclosure so he struck the glass to try and get them, we now feed him his rat, close the enclosure door quickly and steer clear for the next 15-20 mins haha

Haha that sounds exactly like Steve! Womas are the best :)

I defrost mine on the kitchen window sill, in plastic zip bag, once its ready to go I put the bag in a disposable take away container add some water from the kettle and let it cool down for 10 min or something, the rat is warm Fruitchoc never hesitates booom gone, and no need to dry etc the rodent is in the bag, (tip) don't let your daughter see you weighing down the rat with her Coffee cup, :) haha got in trouble for that.....

I defrosted a mouse (in a zip lock bag) in my mothers favourite coffee cup... Lets say the mother saw and I wouldn't be game to do it again ;)

Hey Andy, may I ask what is the lowest temps you will get inside your enclosures in winter?
Hey mate, I have just re-checked my min /max thermometer and this winter my minimum inside my enclosure has only been 14 degrees at my basking site overnight but it has been a pretty mild winter.

Hey mate, I have just re-checked my min /max thermometer and this winter my minimum inside my enclosure has only been 14 degrees at my basking site overnight but it has been a pretty mild winter.

Cheers mate, I might have to cross this bridge next year, Ill keeping reading and researching till then. Thanks for the update.
Phil.

I defrosted a mouse (in a zip lock bag) in my mothers favourite coffee cup... Lets say the mother saw and I wouldn't be game to do it again ;)
lol I guess we all try something :) id definitely do it in my mother in laws cup, then make a nice cuppa tea for her bahahaha no love lost there :)

Oh and just one other question, I am located in Melbourne and I was wondering if I should turn my heat down at night for my woma?

I would leave the heat alone and allow the room temp to drop in the winter time. Room temperature down to around 20-22 is fine.

Regarding the posts about holding the small woma while offering it food, Ramsayi is 100 percent correct. I'll add that I'm quite certain this nurturing practice will prove to be temporary. It will abruptly end one summer, when Steve the woma reaches about a meter or larger in size. :)

Haha yeah it's definitely not going to continue much longer. He's over 60cm long now and I did get a vid (about 20 sec long but 50mb whaaaa?!) to share but I'm having a couple of probs uploading it.

I'm building him a bigger tank (not sure if you've seen pics, his current box isn't very big) so I can feed him on one end and won't need to handle him. He wasn't so good at aiming when striking before lol.

Yeah all good. I'd put a paper plate in the cage, just drop the food onto it and forget about it. Your male will become a seasonal feeder once he reaches maturity.

I like hearing how people enjoy their woma. They are incredible animals. I have a huge collection of them that I'm having to giving up due to moving from the States to Victoria soon.

Yeah all good. I'd put a paper plate in the cage, just drop the food onto it and forget about it. Your male will become a seasonal feeder once he reaches maturity.

I like hearing how people enjoy their woma. They are incredible animals. I have a huge collection of them that I'm having to giving up due to moving from the States to Victoria soon.
I love the look of your woma's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back