Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I hadn't considered that either. Maybe something I need to look at as he gets older.

eje9yjur.jpg

renyduda.jpg

That's a possibility as my one that had the bad shed is a 6month old that has constant heating. I'm pretty sure it is just because I let the coir peat get dry and dusty. :(

As promised lawra here are some photos of the coir peat.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that since Woma's are a desert species they don't require much humidity to shed and don't need misting?

I was under the impression that since Woma's are a desert species they don't require much humidity to shed and don't need misting?

They don't and I would bother misting unless they often had bad shed say 3 or 4 bad sheds on a row.

I do not mist my woma , I do change water every second day so he has fresh water everyday and is more likely to drink and I also cool him during winter so there is less heating time and and no heat during the night. I believe that the combination of him being well hydrated and less moisture being sucked out of the enclosure plus obviously less growth (no shedding during winter) all work towards him having good sheds constantly. Also I think that you will find that in the desert there is dew forming overnight anyway.

Is that for hatchies or adults? Mine is 6 months old. Should I be turning his heat off during the night? I was told to keep it on (but always open to suggestions)

Just thought id add my story I have a bredli 6 months old he un expectedly shed once while he still had a food bulge and the skin bunched up at that point I had to trim it carefully with scissors till the old skin was able split over his belly

Woma pythons can be sensitive to low humidity conditions. This seems to occur during dry spells or windy dry spells, often in winter time. Remember that in the wild, these animals live underground in burrows where they can escape dry conditions. There are a number of ways to address this depending on where a person lives and what type of caging the woma lives in. One way is to get a digital humidity display from an electronics store, they are cheap. Put it or its probe in the cage and try to keep cage's humidity around 50 percent during dry spells by wetting some newsprint in the cage. Misting isn't necessary. Another way is if the cage is large enough, get a sufficiently sized plastic container and cut an entrance hole in the lid. Put some moisture holding substrate in the container and place it in the cage. Shredded newspaper or moss works. The woma should find it and use it. And thank us for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back