Work Experience...?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So with yr 10 fast approaching, we have recently (and possibly too late) been told about finding some work experience. I may try for the zoo but with the high chance I won't get in I need a few other places to think about applying for too. I've struggled to find too many places that would give me the opportunity to work with wildlife (rather than domestic pets) and I'm really keen to find somewhere with some hands on things rather than delivering coffee :lol:

I don't mean to be too fussy but I have heard of people not getting to do much other than watch and make coffee and with my interests being in wildlife I would have thought it not too hard to find something with practical work too. Also, if you have any ideas with domestic animals too I'll be happy to hear them too.

Any suggestions, references, and past experiences you have will be really appreciated!
Thanks so much for any help!

Oh and I live in the SE suburbs of Melbourne by the way so I would need to be able get there. For example, Healseville was an option but getting there seemed too difficult unless I was driven that far each morning.

Cheers again guys,
Eliza

I know you said you didn't want to do your work experience with domestic animals but have you considered a vet clinic. I did my yr 10 work experience (a little while ago now) at a vet clinic. I found it really hands on. I got to see some pretty cool things like a beardie autopsy, and a few different animals. Maybe since you are interested in reptiles see if karingal vet will take you. Also if you do your experience during paralysis tick season you will be kept VERY busy. I didn't have any time to make coffees. Obviously a zoo would be awesome but a vet clinic isn't that bad of a second choice especially of it is a herp vet.

I know you said you didn't want to do your work experience with domestic animals but have you considered a vet clinic. I did my yr 10 work experience (a little while ago now) at a vet clinic. I found it really hands on. I got to see some pretty cool things like a beardie autopsy, and a few different animals. Maybe since you are interested in reptiles see if karingal vet will take you. Also if you do your experience during paralysis tick season you will be kept VERY busy. I didn't have any time to make coffees. Obviously a zoo would be awesome but a vet clinic isn't that bad of a second choice especially of it is a herp vet.

I did have a chat to my local vet about work experience, again its hard to get into but worth trying. The only drawback being that the only wildlife they really get a look at is possums. Your idea of a reptile vet wasn't a bad one though! I will look into it and keep a vet on the list too. Thanks!

Hey guys,

So with yr 10 fast approaching, we have recently (and possibly too late) been told about finding some work experience. I may try for the zoo but with the high chance I won't get in I need a few other places to think about applying for too. I've struggled to find too many places that would give me the opportunity to work with wildlife (rather than domestic pets) and I'm really keen to find somewhere with some hands on things rather than delivering coffee :lol:

I don't mean to be too fussy but I have heard of people not getting to do much other than watch and make coffee and with my interests being in wildlife I would have thought it not too hard to find something with practical work too. Also, if you have any ideas with domestic animals too I'll be happy to hear them too.

Any suggestions, references, and past experiences you have will be really appreciated!
Thanks so much for any help!

Oh and I live in the SE suburbs of Melbourne by the way so I would need to be able get there. For example, Healseville was an option but getting there seemed too difficult unless I was driven that far each morning.

Cheers again guys,
Eliza
Don't count out places that are too far away to travel everyday. When I was in year ten i wanted to do work experience as an instrument fitter at an air force base about 70km away from where I lived and my parents hired a caravan at a caravan park within riding distance from the base and I stayed out there and rode my pushbike there everyday. I didn't really think it through that well because it was in the middle of winter and at Amberley with minimums around 1 or 2 degrees and starting times of 6 am, very cold ride in at 5 am.

Try karingal vet in frankston, Shane Simpson is a great reptile vet. There is also warrenwood vet which services Melbourne zoo I think. That also is meant to have a good rep on the herp community. Find out which week your school is doing work experience and organise it yourself well in advance. Try email werribee and Melbourne zoo. Probably call the vet/s you if you decide on them.

Last edited:
Come to Bali for a few weeks
Work with us on the snakes
Friends for primates and raptors
Other friends for marine turtles

Come to Bali for a few weeks
Work with us on the snakes
Friends for primates and raptors
Other friends for marine turtles

Can I come do work experience there?
I only finished school 7 years ago :p

Bananapeel, if you're not too phased about being paid, try your local (and not so local) wildlife sanctuaries/shelters. EG, Moonlit sanctuary in hastings I think is pretty good, they've got a few reps there as well, though it's mostly mammals.

Can I come do work experience there?
I only finished school 7 years ago :p

Bananapeel, if you're not too phased about being paid, try your local (and not so local) wildlife sanctuaries/shelters. EG, Moonlit sanctuary in hastings I think is pretty good, they've got a few reps there as well, though it's mostly mammals.
It was a stipulation with my work experience that we were not to be paid.

Zoo work experience might pretty hard to find unless you go interstate.

How about work experience in a vet surgery or with the RSPCA ? more of them around and job prospects MUCH BETTER !!!

If it's not available paid - offer on a voluntary basis.

Your school's careers' adviser (do they still exist ?) should be able to help get you a placement, and you'll need to hassle him or her very regularly to get the work experience you want.

Last edited:
See if you can call someone at Melbourne zoo and discuss it, I know that there is also an application form to fill in, I applied when I was in year 10 and I can't remember who I spoke to but I didnt apply enough in advance, the person who I spoke to was really helpful and I know that they love taking volunteers (or else they wouldn't have their program ;) )
All the best with your search though, if you need any extra help with searching for places I am more than happy to help :)

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah longqi I wish but unfortunately a 15 year old can't get there all too easily haha!

I was definitely not expecting a payment of any sort! I have been tirelessly searching wildlife shelters in Vic this arvo but almost all, including Moonlit sanctuary were too far away to get to. I did find one in South Oakleigh which is much closer but whether they take work experience people or not i am yet to find out. I've also got places like Black Snake Productions in mind but again, I'd have to contact them to find out whether work experience is an option. I called the zoo asking some questions earlier and will be putting in an application however with 2000 entrants and 2 selected, I'm not getting my hopes up! I will also be getting into contact with Amazing Amazon and possibly Wildlife Victoria or the like to see if they can give me some ideas etc. If worst comes to worst, I may look into somewhere which will give me good, broad experience not necessarily in my field.

Thanks again for the help guys, really appreciate it!
Wish me luck haha, as the zoo would be a dream come true!

When I was in year 10 I did work experience at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, it was great, until a Tawny Frog Mouth took a huge crap on my back when I was feeding them.

i did mine at upmarket aquarium because it was close, it was pretty cool !

I volunteer at Gumbuya Park every monday morning, there has been a few work experience kids come through. Although there is not many snakes there are dingoes, quoll's, koala's, kangaroo's and alot of birds. Plus the staff are really nice too! I also live in South East Suburbs of Melbourne and just catch 2 trains to a mates then his mum drives us.

You can pm me if you like.

Cheers Damien, I'll have a look into it. Again, getting there every morning could be an issue but if I want to work in this kind of area then going out a bit further might have to happen. I'll keep it in mind and pm you if necessary. Thanks :)

Have you considered work experience with a wildlife care volunteer agency? It may not be paid employment, but they are certainly working! Contact the large wildlife organisations in your area and see if they have a few volunteers who might use your assistance for a few days. Make sure this is okay with your parents and school, as it would involve spending time mainly alone with unknown adults. However, if you are lucky, you will see a wide range of native wildlife and learn about care issues. You might also get to tag along on snake call-outs. WIRES is a major group in Sydney. I'm not sure about Melbourne.

Is there a Parks and Wildlife or Rangers type thing in Vic?
I know there is here in Queensland and they take volunteers for certain jobs.

i recommend a vet clinic, because if you do have a passion for animals then thats the way to go for work experience, you will probably learn heaps of things and it might come in handy in future if you do decide to work in the animal industry, i have just put in an application for a traineeship at a vet clinic and i cant wait because i do want to work animals in the future, not so much companion animals, but i know this traineeship will extend my knowledge and help me decide what i really want to do in the industry

Thanks Pythonmum. I might give a call to a general wildlife organisation seeing if they have any shelters/carers who offer work experience. I'm not getting my hopes up though, as I just contacted a shelter and they can't take anyone under 18 years of age. Oh well I'll do my best :) and yes there is parks and wildlife type thing here who I will also get in contact with. Thanks Joel, I have contacted 2 vets but need to get in touch with a few more as spots are very few so gotta be lucky :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back