Bearded Dragon Health Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_mosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am requesting advice about a typical Bearded Dragon concern that I have not yet experienced myself.
I have noticed over the last week that my 2yo bearded dragon has lost some weight and body condition. Legs and tail are noticeably thinner and appetite for veggies and meat has been reduced, however she just ate woodies covered in reptical just fine. I couldn't tell you the exact temp in her enclosure right now as her thermometer broke a few days ago and a new one is on the way. However, her thermostat switches off her basking light at 35• and UV light is a day night cycle. The coldest part of winter is over here (blues are trying to mate and snakes are more active) and air temp has risen. She's usually pretty fiesty but has not given me any handling troubles over this week which is very strange for her. Going over the books, I'm worried her temps are causing her to be too cool to eat, but too warm to brumate, so I'm considering an extra heat source (heat mat). If she does not improve over the next few days, I may have to try and request for the reptile vet for advice. I have not experienced this with any other beardies over Winter even under the same conditions, so if anyone could shed some advice or their experience with this issue, that would be fantastic.

I would take the basking light off from the thermostat. No good if it is flashing on and off. Dragons tend to absorb heat from above as opposed to below so I wouldnt use a heat mat. Just make sure that the basking temp is about 40-45 degrees. It isn't uncommon for dragons to brumate this time of year. My dragon hasn't moved or eaten for a month or so even though she has a basking lamp there on the far side of her tank if she needs it. Just make sure that her average night air temps don't drop too low ie anything below 15degrees c.

I would take the basking light off from the thermostat. No good if it is flashing on and off. Dragons tend to absorb heat from above as opposed to below so I wouldnt use a heat mat. Just make sure that the basking temp is about 40-45 degrees. It isn't uncommon for dragons to brumate this time of year. My dragon hasn't moved or eaten for a month or so even though she has a basking lamp there on the far side of her tank if she needs it. Just make sure that her average night air temps don't drop too low ie anything below 15degrees c.

Thanks man :) her basking light doesn't usually switch off at all, it almost always stays on all day for her at a perfect 35 basking temp. I lowered to that temp over Winter so switching back to a warmer bulb might help... Goodie I want to avoid the heat mat. I couldn't tell you exact night temp but the house stays crispy overnight and wouldn't get lower than that. Does yours lose condition during brumation?

No problem :) Yeah try the hotter bulb and see how you go. At the end of the day I feel its better to have a hotter bulb ie 40-45 that way you let the lizard choose where it wants to be. Yeah avoid the heat mat they are better suited for geckos and snakes who need their bellies warm from below. Yeah mine loses a little bit over the winter she def looks skinnier around her stomache and rear leg area.

sure go for it! I'd be happy to have a look

My beardie has been down and out since april and hasnt awoken for around 6 weeks. I have disconected all heating an temps get as low as 13c some nights.

I would suggest either increasing ambient temps (i less then 350g/18-24 months old) or turning off all heating. Beardies need a basking spot of 38-45c depending on age, adults like it around 38-42c.

Rick

My beardie has been down and out since april and hasnt awoken for around 6 weeks. I have disconected all heating an temps get as low as 13c some nights.

I would suggest either increasing ambient temps (i less then 350g/18-24 months old) or turning off all heating. Beardies need a basking spot of 38-45c depending on age, adults like it around 38-42c.

Rick

Thanks for the advice Rick, will be increasing her temps :)

My dwarf beardie has been snoozing since around May, waking every week or so for some vegies and the odd cricket. I woke him up for a weigh a few days ago and he hasn't lost a gram! Crazy how well adults can maintain condition.

see pm.

Heatpad a good idea and a increase in general temps will help as from what I've read, young beardies should not be brumated in their 1st winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back