Fake Rock Background V2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with gruni. I just finished my rock wall which will house a bearded dragon. That dragon won't be tearing apart anything anytime soon. Got plenty of layers of render in it. I got a mate who bought a second hand tank with a rock wall in it that by looks of it was either painted red or has a very thin layer of render in it and his bearded hasn't torn it apart.

Back OP, your wall is coming along good. Gonna look amazing

Looking great MK.

There are no design rules with these walls, if it feels right go for it :)

@dragon lover, you've had your answer, and if you check a few of the threads that mention the larger lizards, there is normally mention made that the render should consist of several more lavers than for a snake. Once render is fully cured its as hard as concrete and will be of benefit to lizards by helping keep their nails trim !

Thanks Jax I was careful about my post as I have no personal experience with lizards on these backgrounds although I was fairly sure some dragon owners had them. Good point about the nature of the render's tensile strength once cured and the abrassive effect it will have, it's also one of the benefits for snakes and I guess lizards as it assists them to shed.

:) monitors can be the exception. The larger ones should have access to real rocks. Or a background with as much render as you can throw at it an still have your enclosure cope with the weight!
Most large monitors appear to be kept in outdoor pits, probably with good reason !

Ok guys here it is just before sculpting in some detail / painting procedure, thought I would do a vid to capture how much the depth in it varies.

I made four fake rock walls for my beardies and ridge tailed monitors. As stated above, a couple of extra layers of grout has it hard as a rock. I accidentally dropped a hammer onto mine from a bit over waist height and it didn't leave a mark... Much to my relief! I have had no problems what so ever. They climb all over the walls and it hasn't even scratched the pondtite. Now I am making a submersible one for turtles..... don't even get me started on that disaster!! lol. Good job it is looking fantastic!!! We need a ton more pictures! Can't wait to see it when its finished. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I made four fake rock walls for my beardies and ridge tailed monitors. As stated above, a couple of extra layers of grout has it hard as a rock. I accidentally dropped a hammer onto mine from a bit over waist height and it didn't leave a mark... Much to my relief! I have had no problems what so ever. They climb all over the walls and it hasn't even scratched the pondtite. Now I am making a submersible one for turtles..... don't even get me started on that disaster!! lol. Good job it is looking fantastic!!! We need a ton more pictures! Can't wait to see it when its finished. :)
How did you make your background for your ridge taileds because im going to start making one for mine (havent got it yet but will soon :) ) soon like what did you put on it and what order cause i dont want to make one then find out that they can destroy it with there claws :/

Last edited:
I just carved out the shapes I wanted with styrofoam, then coated it with four or so layers of tile grout. The number of layers will depend on how thick you make it up. Knock on the wall once it's dry if it feels solid and sounds solid then your on the right track. Just make sure you wait until each layer is dry before you put in the next layer. Paint what ever Colour you want and seal with several layers of pondtite.

I just carved out the shapes I wanted with styrofoam, then coated it with four or so layers of tile grout. The number of layers will depend on how thick you make it up. Knock on the wall once it's dry if it feels solid and sounds solid then your on the right track. Just make sure you wait until each layer is dry before you put in the next layer. Paint what ever Colour you want and seal with several layers of pondtite. ������
Thankyou thankful thank you thank you Seriously I couldn't thank you enough I was so confused on how to do it but now I'm not aha you saved me a lot of $$$ But I do have one more question. Did you liquid nail youre styrofoam onto some thin wood or did you do it in the tank?

Thankyou thankful thank you thank you Seriously I couldn't thank you enough I was so confused on how to do it but now I'm not aha you saved me a lot of $$$ But I do have one more question. Did you liquid nail youre styrofoam onto some thin wood or did you do it in the tank?

I back my backgrounds onto sheets on foam, then ones it is all done silicone around edges of the background to hold it to the enclosure (can easily remove from enclosure if need be then). I used a full 20kg bag of render for my 1200x700 background, its well an truely not gonna get damaged by my ridge tailed monitors.

Rick

The first wall I made I put it together outside the enclosure, but it was a pain to get in and the edges didn't look as neat as I wanted. After that I just lay the enclosure on its back, siliconed the foam straight into the enclosure. When I was happy I applied the grout in the enclosure. I think it left a better finish and when it dried... it wasnt going anywhere. You would need a jack hammer to get that baby out. Downside, because its so big it now weighs a TON. Its on wheels (thank god) but trying to get it up the three stairs into the house was interesting. I would hate to have had to get it up a flight of stairs or anything so keep weight in mind if you need to trek it up a million stairs. :)
IMG_1516.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back