python gone off food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexpython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
so ive had my rough scale python for about a year and he has been a solid feeder, but since the temp dropped quite rapidly around two months back he went off his food for about a month, had 2 feeds, and is off his food again for the last 3-4 weeks, ive been doing well keeping the temp up as best i can since he first stopped eating, my room gets quite cold, its 22-24 at the cold end, and under the ceramic heat lamp its 30+, he seems happy, still moving around at night, he is getting on the thinner side tho, is there anything else i should try?? ive offered rats and mice, he looks interested, then just leaves it, was thinking of getting some quail to try as i know roughies like them?

I find snakes usually eat once a week until they are about 2-3 years old, then go off the food for 1-2 months during winter.

My womas eat like pigs for 7 months, then stop eating for 5 months between March and August. They're in tip-top condition. Snakes can go for 2+ years without eating, but it's a rare occurrence.

Snakes can also detect that it's winter by ways that do not involve temperature detection. Volatile air pressure can affect their appetite. After a major thunderstorm in February one of my male womas stopped feeding - and has not eaten since, with absolutely no effect on his condition, and I am confident he will resume after he has another shed (he is turning blue as I type). He resumed feeding in late July last year, so I'll offer a rat and see if he takes it.

Snakes know instinctively when it's appropriate to eat and when it's not. Since your temperature gradient appears to be very good I wouldn't worry about it.

My 18 mth coastal stopped lately for 7-8 weeks. I bumped up the temps a few deg to bout 35 and she had eaten again this week. Dont worry till they go a few months straight. But even then females useually cool themselves and eat less over winter ive been told.

I keep constant temps too, my woma hasn't fed for 6weeks, I'm not worried, will offer again in a month or so if he's hungry he'll eat, if not leave it another month :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back