Feeding issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeprincess

Reaction score
I have a little blonde spotted he is a awesome little guy great to handle, active and good looking ;) But he has refused 4 feeds....Temps are good he is in a 2 litre sistema with water and a hide. He just doesn't seem interested in the little pink mice at all :rolleyes: Any suggestions?? If it was a bredli or something bigger it wouldn't bother me as much this guy is just so tiny lol

Don't handle him for a week or so, then try another feed. Worked for me when my coastal got a little picky.

It always good to have some quail on had ... Some of mine won't eat for weeks so I give them a quail which is very rarely passed up so even if they stay off their food for a while they get a protein fix .... Try to get some 3 day old ... Day old don't have much meat . If he is happy with the quail try a quail leg cigar ... It's a bit yuck but remove the leg from the quail up to the thigh , make a hole in the mouth of the pinky and push the leg in so the meaty part of the thigh is hanging out ... Then again if everything is right .... Temp ... Hide .... Not too much handling and they don't eat ... it just may be they just don't want to eat , just give them the time they need ... Pushing each night will continue stressing them ..... Another good idea I saw one guy at the reptile expo had his snakes hides as the base of plant pots with a small hole ... That would really make then feel secure ... How he comes good anyway

It always good to have some quail on had ... Some of mine won't eat for weeks so I give them a quail which is very rarely passed up so even if they stay off their food for a while they get a protein fix .... Try to get some 3 day old ... Day old don't have much meat . If he is happy with the quail try a quail leg cigar ... It's a bit yuck but remove the leg from the quail up to the thigh , make a hole in the mouth of the pinky and push the leg in so the meaty part of the thigh is hanging out ... Then again if everything is right .... Temp ... Hide .... Not too much handling and they don't eat ... it just may be they just don't want to eat , just give them the time they need ... Pushing each night will continue stressing them ..... Another good idea I saw one guy at the reptile expo had his snakes hides as the base of plant pots with a small hole ... That would really make then feel secure ... How he comes good anyway
How big are 3 day old quail in grams? I suspect that 3 day old quail may be a little big for a snake that is kept in a 2 litre click clack, are you talking about cutting them up?

Its cold and winter. If your worried bump the temps up a few degrees for a week before feeding again. My fem coastal stopped 7 weeks ago. I upped the temps to 35ish and she smashed a fuzzy tonight. My male hasnt missed a meal.

He will feed again just be patient and feed him fuzzy's not pinks, as he should be big enough now to take them at approximately 7 months of age.

Thanks everyone :) I didn't bother trying to feed him today as I don't want to stress him. Pretty much let him be and have him covered over atm. I don't know about feeding him fuzzy's as his head is only about the size of my pinky nail :p

Here is some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 73
The biggest part of the quail will be the head and by the looks of your pics your snake has the same size so there's no issues about size , don't worry to much about how many grams quail are at that size , its mostly fluff .

The biggest part of the quail will be the head and by the looks of your pics your snake has the same size so there's no issues about size , don't worry to much about how many grams quail are at that size , its mostly fluff .
I have not had much experience with quails yet, I have recently bought hatchling BHP's (a little over 4 months ago) and only just started using quail and they are eating large quail that weigh about 115 grams. I weigh all my snakes every month when I clean out their enclosures and weigh all there food to keep a tight eye on progress (a little anal about them). I take it that it is only the small quail that have bigger heads than they do bodies because my large quail , even though quite fluffed up had a bigger body than it's head?

Just with the day old there's not much to them and that's if they have a day of feeding just looking at the pics I was just comparing the sizes of their heads . They do grow really quick so thats why I give my snakes some 3 day old as they have a bit more meat on them but only as a last resort as I much prefer them all to just be eating rats , quail is really only fill in if there off their food for a month or so as hatchlings just what has worked for me , but not with all my snakes , and I am by no means a expert at all ..... Different options work for different situations for different snakes

My 7 month old spotties are eating hopper mice now, they are not much bigger than your boy, it is surprising the size of the animal they are able to swallow :) ...........................Ron pic for comparison

Attachments

• 20130701_162816.jpg
    20130701_162816.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 66
I went and brought a day old quail today and even the guy at amazing amazon said he thinks its to big for my little guy to eat so I currently have the quail and the pinky mouse in a small container together going to try and sent the mouse and see if that works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back