Which second-hand small car?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at buying a second-hand car and I need opinions from people who are a bit more auto-savvy than I am.

The budget is about $5000, give or take a few hundred. Being a student, I need something that is likely to be mechanically reliable and cheap to maintain. I'm looking at a small car for fuel economy, preferably one with an ANCAP safety rating of at least 4. What makes, models and years should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Ren

PS: I've been looking online for some information about which second-hand cars are cheaper to maintain, but I can't find anything. If something like this exists, please let me know where it is.

We brought a 2006 Nissan Pulsar ST-L (suede seats with power windows) having 135000kms for $6200 around 12months ago. A great car an fuel economy of around half of our previous family car (1995 VS Holden Commodore), got 8ltr/100kms on the highway running AC on a 42c day and a 5 1/2hr drive.

Still got my big diesel 4wd (1995 Nissan Patrol) but for most local drives we leave it in the driveway, around 16-18ltrs/100kms.

Rick

I reckon you can never go wrong with a Corolla (or just about any Toyota). They are aren't the flashiest or fastest around but they're famous for reliability.

Thanks.

Saximus, I've been told a couple of times that Toyotas are very reliable - nice to hear it from someone else. Is that still true for older Corollas (say, 2000)?

Older is even better! I may be a bit biased though because I know I can fix just about any mechanical issues in a carbureted car but fuel injected is more tricky.

I've had some conflicting information about Ford Fiestas. I saw one I liked, a 2004 Zetec model with low kilometres. Someone said that as a European car it would be pricey to maintain; someone else said that there would probably be cheap parts available from the wreckers. Can anyone settle the argument? :)

I've had some conflicting information about Ford Fiestas. I saw one I liked, a 2004 Zetec model with low kilometres. Someone said that as a European car it would be pricey to maintain; someone else said that there would probably be cheap parts available from the wreckers. Can anyone settle the argument? :)

Some of the stuff on euros are pricey, most aren't too bad though. I think be biggest pita with euro models is the indicator and wiper stalks being on opposing sides to normal. We steered clear of all Holden Astras and Vectras due to engine mounts normally failing sub 200000kms, not a cheap fix or an easy job.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I came across that Holden engine problem in my research and decided I'd steer clear of the Holdens.

Get a Toyota Corolla. Mine is a '90, cost me $2k a few years ago and my total cost of repairs so far has been well under $200. It's done 260k km and is still going strong.

Can't go wrong with the Mazda range. Mazda 3s are bulletproof

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like the Toyota Corolla is getting the votes so far. What's the fuel consumption like on the older models?

Not really advice on what type of car to get but look around for deceased estate sales, if you can get past the fact that its a dead persons car they are a bargain but also well looked after as the older generation buy a brand new car so its reliable at their age, drive it once a week, have a full service history and been locked in a garage away from the weather

Good luck in your search

Sent from my GT-N7000

I have a 2006 Corolla. Has done 166,000K...never had one problem with it...they are the best...sorry I am not selling it :p

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like the Toyota Corolla is getting the votes so far. What's the fuel consumption like on the older models?

Not bad. A full tank (38 litres) will get me about 550kms-ish. So about 6.9l/100km. You can probably do better if the engine has less km and is cleaner or whatever. Not sure what the quoted consumption was when they first came out.

I basically think of it in my head as $1 per 10km.

EDIT: This is with very, very little highway driving and I have a heavy foot haha

:)Do not buy a holden astra !!!, not buit in aus and parts are not cheap .

you live in cairns so I would travel to charters towers and buy a car that has not suffered the ugly FNQ wet humidity , It might be dusty but it will wash pretty clean in your next sprinkle !

Another Corolla voter Ren, can't kill them with a big stick...believe me, I've tried! Almost as ledendary as the Hilux/ Landy...funny, they're by the same company!:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back