cutting off rabbits' feet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydee

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My big coastal gets fed rabbits, has done now for quite awhile with no problems. However, someone asked me if I cut the claws off before feeding to prevent possible injury. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of a snake injured in such a way?

Cheers

Ive seen big snakes eat antellope so no I dont see rabbit feet being an issue.

No I never have done this for my coastal, but it does sort of make sense... It's really just like taking the beak off of your pigeons or quail... I have heard of beaks injuring but never rabbits feet... :L

Seems a bit over the top to me. I've probably just jinxed the next feeding though.

Hi folks,

My big coastal gets fed rabbits, has done now for quite awhile with no problems. However, someone asked me if I cut the claws off before feeding to prevent possible injury. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of a snake injured in such a way?

Cheers

lol This is a question I've never seen asked before; I thot I'd seen it all. :)

The posters here have the right of it, it's just not a concern. I've fed many a rabbit ( I used to breed Boa constrictors and Burmese pythons in the States) and have never ever seen any issues with rabbit nails.

No issues there mate. I have occasionally cut the feet of chickens as they can be quite sharp.
Cheers, Dan

Seems a bit over the top to me. I've probably just jinxed the next feeding though.

You are more likely to damage your snake due to the Raw sharp bone after you cut the foot off

Maybe you could send the rabbit to get a manicure and pedicure.

Are you feeding live rabbit's to your snake, as I can see the reason for it there.

i had a carpet treated by a vet last year for a bacterial infection in the throat. the infection was in a long incision that ran right down the throat (observed with an endoscope). the only explanation was a rat claw or tooth had cut the snake during swallowing. this animal was 12 at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back