Sunshine Virus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spida_0000

Reaction score
I follow a very well known Victorian Veterinarians page on Facebook, he just uploaded a photo of a newspaper article he has in the paper about the Sunshine Visrus. It goes on to say there has been a fair few sick pythons attend his clinic with symptoms of wheezing, blowing bubbles and other respiratory issues.. several of them having to be euthanized since june and that it is contagious to other snakes but doesnt give much more info..

Anyone able to shed some light on what Sunshine virus is or is it just a fancy way of saying RI??

Sent from my GT-N7000

There should be a lot of info about it here on APS. It is not just a fancy name for RI - it's a deadly disease that kills entire collections when introduced due to poor quarantine procedures.

Jamie

It sounded very serious in the article, thats why I thought I would ask about it as its the first time I've ever heard of it

Do you know the cause by any chance? Or any other info please

Sent from my GT-N7000

The cause is the Sunshine virus, a virus first isolated by Dr Tim Hyndman at Murdoch Uni in Perth. I believe the pathology (progress to disease & death) is symptomatically similar to that of OPMV (Ophidian paramyxovirus) and IBD (inclusion body disease) - all highly contagious and probably always fatal. The last two can only be tested for post-mortem, but I believe from Tim that the Sunshine virus may be able to be immunised against, and infected animals may be able to be detected by blood test sometime in the future.

Jamie

Thanks for the information! But 1 more question please,
Can it be carried by us to a friends collection?
Article stated that it in the frankston/ Mornington area at the moment and I'm not over that side of Victoria myself but not worth the risk to just ignore it

Sent from my GT-N7000

No one can be really sure about that, but thorough hand-washing, and wearing clothes which haven't had snakes crawling over them would probably be sufficient.

Jamie

After reading that I'm a bit concerned. I've read up on quarantine (because I want another python) but what are the correct procedures that you would recommend? Especially time period.

In regards to vaccinations, is this something. I should look into? Not just for this virus but for others too.

Pretty much the longer the better. My second python is going to be in quarantine for 12months minimum. There are a few articles floating around that go on depth on correct quarantine measures.

What I do is have separate feeding utensils and defrosting tubs. I never mix water bowls, hides, etc. Have them in separate rooms. I always change my first python's water before changing my quarantine one's water. I tend to handle them and clean on separate days but you could send time with your first then spend time with the quarantined on but never the other way round.

Oh... Steve lives in an enclosure in my room because it's the quietest area; I have a one bedroom unit.

I'll be getting my second snake from the same breeder, would a whole year be necessary in that case?

Correct procedures would include but not be limited to:

Not cross contaminating yours and your friends' collections, by not taking traces of reptile bodily fluids, mites, faeces etc between collections, by thoroughly washing hands, arms and wearing fresh clothes etc if you have been handling one collection and then want to interact with a different collection. Make sure you can trust people who have reptiles, when they tell you they are clean-some people are lazy and will tell you what you want to hear as if they are not worried about risk.

Not buying from different breeders and keepers, unless you have somewhere to keep new reptiles isolated from current reptiles, for an appropriate quarantine period, which may be as long as 2+ years, depending on what is currently recommended by experienced veterinarians. There is little point in quarantining something for a short period only, if you are concerned about Sunshine Virus and other similar fatal diseases, as the animal may still be sick even though it appears fine during your short quarantine period.

Consider if it is worth pairing your reptiles with other people's reptiles, for breeding purposes. The jag thing is a bit scary as people want to put a good male jag over many females and lend them to friends etc, so the risk is higher for spreading disease (if it is there).

Consider if it is worth buying from people who are constantly getting new reptiles from different sources, as you have no way of knowing if there is something nasty in their animals or not, and neither do they.

Keeping animals isolated from each other in the home requires you to think about if you are cross contaminating with cleaning cloths, sinks (washing everything at same time in one sink) tongs, food packaging, cacium powder containers, water bowls, frozen rats that have been handled after touching one animal and then feeding to another, handling one animal and then going to handle others without washing hands and considering if clothing is contaminated.

If you want to be serious about quarantine and risk management, you kind of have to go full on or you will end up going to effort that doesn't really protect your collection from anything, and your results would be due to luck and not your practices.

Oh... Steve lives in an enclosure in my room because it's the quietest area; I have a one bedroom unit.

I'll be getting my second snake from the same breeder, would a whole year be necessary in that case?

Even though it is from the same breeder I would still maintain normal quarantine measure. You don't know what the seller has being doing with their collection since you last bought from them.

Thank you for the link :) it was very helpful. I read that some take longer than 12 months to manifest. Are there any ways to diagnose viruses sooner before symptoms show eg: pathology at vet check up?

Not really. From what I understand, it is hard to diagnose reptiles with a virus when the virus is dormant and not shedding, meaning it is possible to get an incorrect "negative" from a pathology test. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.
In my opinion 12 month quarantine for fatal viruses is a waste of time. It needs to be longer or else you may have gone to all that effort for nothing as virus symptoms may still show up later than that and you have contaminated your collection.

Not really. From what I understand, it is hard to diagnose reptiles with a virus when the virus is dormant and not shedding, meaning it is possible to get an incorrect "negative" from a pathology test. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.
In my opinion 12 month quarantine for fatal viruses is a waste of time. It needs to be longer or else you may have gone to all that effort for nothing as virus symptoms may still show up later than that and you have contaminated your collection.

Would 18 months be more appropriate?

Would 18 months be more appropriate?

The longer the better. I agree with ingie. Just like in humans reptiles can be carriers. For the past three years all the new animals I have gotten I have kept in qt till the reach sexual maturity.(or at least two years) For me knowing that these viruses can lie dormant in reptiles prevents me from being fully satisfied with even the most extensive q.t.(paranoid?)

The veterinarian you refer to recently wrote an in depth article called 'The Truth About Viral Infections in Snakes' over two issues of the Scales & Tails Australia magazine. The article is in Issues 24 and 25.

Thank you for the link :) it was very helpful. I read that some take longer than 12 months to manifest. Are there any ways to diagnose viruses sooner before symptoms show eg: pathology at vet check up?

From the info provided, to play devil's advocate. If you take your reptile to a vet for a vaccination/check up, quarantine period of 18 to 24 months will need to be started again due to fresh exposure at the vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back