Feeding 1.5yr Blonde Spotted - delayed movement after strike??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

l_ily

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that more than likely I am over reacting (first time herp owner!) but after Salem's feed tonight I was concerned enough to want some advice. I've never previously had issues with his feeds or sheds and haven't had any reason to take him to a vet thus far. I've had him since he was 5 months old.

His June measurements were ~70cm long and 140g and I am currently feeding him frozen velvet rats between 20g - 24g every 2ish weeks.

Tonight I fed him a velvet rat (21g), which as per usual he struck at with gusto. He normally coils for between 30 seconds - 1 minute before starting to swallow the food item. However, for some reason he seemed almost 'paralysed' after his strike tonight - it seemed that his eyes weren't even tracking my movement and his breathing seemed shallower than usual. I had to stroke his underside a few times to coax him to start moving.

As you can imagine this was pretty scary for me as a first time herp owner with a usually great feeder.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Lily

Hi there.

Nothing to worry about, some pythons take a while to start eating, my spotted sometimes takes half an hour or so before she starts to eat, others take longer. It just depends on the snake really.
Oh and whist he's still growing and is still small id probably feed him once a week instead of once every 2ish weeks.

he's just 'killing' the rat and making sure it's dead before eating.

My jungle does it now and then too, the first time he did it I got rather worried too, also he went bright pink under his jaw, now I believe it has something to do with the snake being a little excited about his food, I think some rats just smell xtra good, coz he doesn't do it with all his rats, just some :)

Thanks for your replies guys, he seems fine today and the breeder I bought him from suggested it could have just been a panic reaction for some reason. I will also increase his feeds to closer to weekly :)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back