how much is too much

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimielj

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old bredli and she was only on one pinky mice when I got her so I have her on two pinky rats a week at the moment. I was wondering if thats two much I want to get her up to size as quick as possible but not putting her health at risk at the same time.... also wondering if you guys think its okay to handle them after they feed or wait until they have pooed it out.

Regarding handling after a feed I will usually wait a minimum of 24 hours, usually 48 hours, not keen on seeing a regurgitated rat:D. I would also be moving up to Fuzzies with the rat sizes IMO.

You might be better feeding one bigger item, with a bit of hair and bone development such as a fuzzie rat or even adult mouse. Pinkies are mostly water!

Hi jaimielj, I would go with the adult mice for a month or so to get some sustenance into her, then bump her up to fuzzie rats.
I don't handle after feeding for at least 2 days sometimes 3.

I would increase the size of the feed! I wait to handle until I don't see a visible bulge anymore :)

Definitely move him up to something with fur but before you start taking suggestions on what size to feed him, how much does he weigh?

giving a weight would help i have two jan 2012 hatchys that are 200g ( 18 month old) they are completely healthy just havn't pushed them

As all the above state get him/her onto fuzzy rats after your current amount of pinkies are gone, i can't see the value in going back to larger mice as quite often there can be trouble getting them back onto rats again, you will be quite surprised how big a food item they can get down, as far as handling after feeding is concerned it is really up to the individual animal and the amount of handling you do, i handle my spotties the next day without any problems, but our big coastal will regurgitate her rat if handled before 48 hours has elapsed, and the problem with regurge is they won't readily eat again till the next feeding cycle (something about the brain thinking it has eaten already) :) ......................................Ron

Thanks everyone I checked out the fuzzie rats at the pet shop and shes quite small so im not sure if she will take it I cant upload a photo for some reason it wont let me

Pink rats are about 10 grams adult mice about 20 grams or fuzzie rats about 15-25 grams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone I checked out the fuzzie rats at the pet shop and shes quite small so im not sure if she will take it.

She probably can swallow it. It's worth trying them. If she doesn't take them, you can keep them in the freezer for later and you've only wasted 1 fuzzy from a pack. You want to feed her something that she'll take a little time swallowing, and that will leave a visible bulge in her body. Generally, if it takes less than 10 minutes to swallow, she is able take something bigger. My rule of thumb for growing snakes is 15-20% of their body weight every 10-14 days, and down to 5-15% for adults (3+ years).

And, as has already been said, rats and mice have more nutrients past the pinky/fuzzy stage.

feeding my hatchie Diamonds fuzzie rats and adult mice...powering on

I weigh my snakes every month and I feed them 10% every 7 days or every 5 days for the younger ones, if its 10% of her body weight then she can definitely swallow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back