4 dead animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilie

Reaction score
We have kept reptiles for 4 years. Since moving into our current house we have lost 2 pythons and 2 dragons, pluss the fact that my normaly healthy breeder jungle laid a clutch of 15 where 10 were slugs and only 2 bubs hatched last year. She died in December just weeks after laying. Today my gravid Woma has died, she's been very aggressive last couple of months so we have just made sure she's had peaceful space with correct temps clean water and plenty hides. The two dragons just died as well. No apperant reason. We are renting an old house and now I'm wondering if there could be something in this house not right. Any ideas guys?

Did you have a necropsy performed on any of these animals? It may give you a few answers in regards to what is actually making them sick.

sorry for your loss, maybe you can check and see if the house has been sprayed with pesticides or something

That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss, Nilesh has probably got it right, rented house? would have been sprayed in and out with pesticides :(

That's terrible, are all rentals sprayed after a tenant moves out and preparing for a new one? I'll be moving soon and taking all my animals including dog, now i'm paranoid!

That's terrible, are all rentals sprayed after a tenant moves out and preparing for a new one? I'll be moving soon and taking all my animals including dog, now i'm paranoid!

Never had a rental that has been spray at all, I don't think it's common practice unless there was an extreme infestation.

Rick

Ok thank you, i'll be sure to ask in advance though.

Sorry for your loss Emilie, but as others have suggested it would be good idea to have one examined so you know for sure.

wen i moved to my rented house i noticed white power every were and it was from roach spraying, so i washed all the walls and mopped all floors ect before bringing in any reptiles. since then i have had the house sprayed but moved all reptiles to the garage for 3 days and washed the walls and floors, disinfected all enclosures that were inside and changed all substrate and washed all accessories.

might be something else though so get an autopsy. its really sad losing a pet.

Sorry for your loss, that would be heartbreaking.

Something in the new rental could explain it - or it could be a complete coincidence. A necropsy doesn't always give you an answer, but it's the best chance you have to find out what happened and help you decide what you need to do next.

If you choose to have a necropsy done, keep the bodies in the fridge and organise it as soon as possible.

Never had a rental that has been spray at all, I don't think it's common practice unless there was an extreme infestation.

Rick
possibly might depend on the state your in, In Queensland you have to give property managers proof that you have treated for pests at the end of a lease, particularly if there were pets living there :)

I wouldn't get bogged down in it being the house. Its now also 2013 but I doubt that is the cause. Autopsy or pathology on live animals would be a good starting point. How many animals haven't died in the house?

I wouldn't get bogged down in it being the house. Its now also 2013 but I doubt that is the cause. Autopsy or pathology on live animals would be a good starting point. How many animals haven't died in the house?
A

We have an other 6 pythons and 2 dragon. The tanks are cleaned out frequently and F10 is used. We breed our own rodent and also supply the local pet store with rodents. I'm gonna try to get her in at bev mount Gravatt tomorrow. She was fine last night so still fresh. I'm worried its something in the water or air here as these guys don't have the same diet. Non the less I can hopefully get an answer soon
Any idea how much necropsy cost?

BTW, we have been to a few rentals before this one. Last one had a nasty garden flea infestation and was sprayed inside outside, all my animals spent a week on different premises for a week and then came back to us. That's about two yeas ago and they had no ill effect back then. We have been here for ten months. I just thought loosing 1/3 of collection in such short time is a bit weird

Cost will depend upon what tests you get done which will depend upon what the vet sees at autopsy. It may be worth taking blood from the apparently healthy ones.

"IF" its not the house and its a nasty virus testing can be as much as $400.00 per animal.....solar 17 :)

Solar,<br><br>what kinds of viruses will kill with such a timeframe ? The first animal collapsed October 2012 a few weeks after we moved in, she was however already crook but on medication from the vet. ( small fungal infection ) Next one was my jungle who a few weeks after laying her clutch of slugs collapsed in December- she was kept outdoors in large aviary with lots of hides and cool spots, non the less I always put it down to possible overheat as it happened a couple if days after a day of 37 degrees. She did have frozen packs in her hides though. Last two was no indication, they have all been less active due to the cooler weather but nothing looks out of the ordinary<br>anyhows I will hopefully get a vets opinion today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back