winter temperatures at night, problem?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just wanna know if temp drops to anywhere between 16 -18 degrees will be an issue for my spotty

I can't say this is the same for macs, but my Darwin's and coastal are often seen chilling (literally) in the coldest part of their enclosure at night - averages 10c over night. They do however have residual heat from a heat tile in a hide should they need it

I can't say this is the same for macs, but my Darwin's and coastal are often seen chilling (literally) in the coldest part of their enclosure at night - averages 10c over night. They do however have residual heat from a heat tile in a hide should they need it

Thing with darwins is they would never be subjected to 10C nights and are not adapted to such lows.

With spotteds while those lower temps wont hurt, if you want them to keep feeding over winter low temps should be a bit higher.

Thing with darwins is they would never be subjected to 10C nights and are not adapted to such lows.

With spotteds while those lower temps wont hurt, if you want them to keep feeding over winter low temps should be a bit higher.

I'm not saying its how they should be kept, just offering an observation. :)

I'm not saying its how they should be kept, just offering an observation. :)

Fair enough.I just commented because you are running a huge risk of them getting RI's by allowing them to be exposed to such low temps.

I will add that my Darwin's are 3 years old and as hatchies they had 24/7 heat !!
As stated above, 10c is not something that is recommended, but I have observed them choosing to be at that temp for extended times and if we have a cold spell I leave the heat on.

My room gets to 16 - 17 at night and I've got a 15ish month old MD carpet python. There is a heated tile though. I'm hoping this is ok..? Especially considering they come from slightly cooler areas.

Thanks for the input guys, yeah he seems to be a fairly content in 19 degrees and I've got him a residual heat tile now, although he ignores it... just in case.

My first baby spotty got rti within a week of being in her new enclosure. Pet shop told me a 75 watt should be fine, it wasn't. She never climbed branch to get warmer either, but she was a sickly baby and died from other issues. I got a 100 watt and a thermometer when I got new spotty. My son did a " temperature map" of enclosure, including after house had cooled down overnight so we have a good idea of temp fluctuations. I have a radiant heater that I use to bring up temp of room, wool blanket around 3 sides and some of top of glass enclosure to keep it insulated. I usually close doors of room too to keep any heat in. So far so good, room temp rarely goes below 19. I'm in Adelaide hills so it gets pretty cold, but I will only need to be this careful for 3 months of year. Next year I may get a heat pad...if my power bill gets really ugly!

In the wild central Australia during winter gets bitterly cold so 19 degrees is nothing to be worried about

Hi Erica, heat cords are the way to go, especially overnight, like you I'm in the adelaide hills and yes, it gets very brisk overnight

Probably right...I just spent another $180 for new snake, vet, thermometer, multivitamins.. so it will probably happen next pay! It will save some stuffing around w heaters, doors, etc, and hopefully power bill.

My room gets to 16 - 17 at night and I've got a 15ish month old MD carpet python. There is a heated tile though. I'm hoping this is ok..? Especially considering they come from slightly cooler areas.

Your MD will be fine BP...
All but one of my Pythons are in the shed now and it gets very cold here at night in Winter.

I've seen my Jungle choose to be/stay down the cold end (even over night after taking a Weaner Rat and he/she felt cold in the morning) and not move from that side for a day or two. Was still able to get to the warm spot (32-34c) to digest it's food when it needed to. Same goes for the bigger MD and Coastals.

Last edited:
"CHOICE" is a great asset and IMO makes the previous post (#17) spot on.....solar 17

My first baby spotty got rti within a week of being in her new enclosure. Pet shop told me a 75 watt should be fine, it wasn't. She never climbed branch to get warmer either, but she was a sickly baby and died from other issues. I got a 100 watt and a thermometer when I got new spotty. My son did a " temperature map" of enclosure, including after house had cooled down overnight so we have a good idea of temp fluctuations. I have a radiant heater that I use to bring up temp of room, wool blanket around 3 sides and some of top of glass enclosure to keep it insulated. I usually close doors of room too to keep any heat in. So far so good, room temp rarely goes below 19. I'm in Adelaide hills so it gets pretty cold, but I will only need to be this careful for 3 months of year. Next year I may get a heat pad...if my power bill gets really ugly!
Is it a fair sized enclosure? Young snakes in big cages will often stress and try and find a secure part of the cage and not thermoregulate. You can have a perfect basking spot but if the snake is stressed it may not use it and stay holed up in a cold corner. It is much easier to avoid this in small tubs when housing young snakes.

Is there a size requirement for 18 mth old snakes or are click clacks allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back