Two bredli in one enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydee

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Who keeps two bredli in one enclosure? I intend you get a young female for my male, grow her up and build a new enclosure for the two of them.
What are the options to the size of an enclosure for two together?

Cheers

Prepare to get destroyed by people who are completely opposed to this.
Just as long as their the same size, the risk is minimal.

I have two carpets, and two jungles together, who most of the time sleep together.
Simply get the size tank you'd have for a single Bredli, and add 50% to the size.

I have asked a similar question before and the response I got was that most didnt like 2 in one enclosure. From what I was told u run the risk of injury something I dont think anyone wants the only time 2 were in a viv together was for breeding. I am not experienced at all and just pasing on info I received but with 2 in the same viv I would assume come feeding time u would run into problems, unless they were removed first.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Prepare to get destroyed by people who are completely opposed to this.
Just as long as their the same size, the risk is minimal.

Firstly people don't "destroy" on here without good cause. And the reason 99% of people on this forum are opposed to housing 2 snakes in 1 enclosure is because 99% of the time it is a bad idea, the risks are not "minimal", if you're happy to run the risk of injury or even death that's fine but you can't dismiss others concerns, many of who has seen the disastrous effects of keeping 2 together.

My advice would be to have 2 separate enclosures, much much less risky.

I've got two large adults (7-8ft) in the one enclosure. It's quite a big enclosure and they get fed separately. No issues so far.

I wouldn't keep young ones together though.

I've got two large adults (7-8ft) in the one enclosure. It's quite a big enclosure and they get fed separately. No issues so far.

I wouldn't keep young ones together though.
So do you remove one snake , both snakes or neither snake but have them at separate ends?

Hi folks,

Who keeps two bredli in one enclosure? I intend you get a young female for my male, grow her up and build a new enclosure for the two of them.

Hi Danny, No one here is out to destroy anyone else regardless of what some might say.

In order to come to a decision I think you need ask yourself 2 questions........................
1. Do you believe snakes to be communal animals who will benefit from being housed together? (Otherwise there is no benefit to the animals welfare)
2. Are you prepared to accept the consequences if this goes wrong?

By asking your initial question you obviously have some concerns.
I can say that I have housed animals of similar sizes together for short periods when struggling for space. I have also suffered the consequences when one of the animals didn't like the idea.
If this goes wrong you will learn a valuable lesson but must live with it. If it goes well you will have concerns every day that will probably drive you to separate them anyway.
Many people keep animals together with no problems but generally these animals are adults. From your initial post it would sound as though you have an adult/sub-adult and intend to house this one with a hatchling. If this is so I would say its a bad idea.

So do you remove one snake , both snakes or neither snake but have them at separate ends?

I pull one out and feed it in a tub. Once they've both finished eating I put it back into the opposite end of the enclosure from the other one.

Thank you for all the replies folks, I knew there would be mixed emotions. Just to clear up a little confusion, I have no intentions of putting a hatching in with an adult. My plan wouldn't be realised until the younger one became an adult and of similar size to the other one.
I'm fully aware of the negative aspects from keeping two together, I consider myself experienced enough (I got my first snake twenty years ago) and should I feel the need to separate the snakes, well there will be a spare enclosure for one of them.
It's something I will be trying a few years down the line. I've kept snakes together before and not had a problem, just not larger species, hence my original question.
Anyway, thanks again for all your replies.

Thank you for all the replies folks, I knew there would be mixed emotions. Just to clear up a little confusion, I have no intentions of putting a hatching in with an adult. My plan wouldn't be realised until the younger one became an adult and of similar size to the other one.
I'm fully aware of the negative aspects from keeping two together, I consider myself experienced enough (I got my first snake twenty years ago) and should I feel the need to separate the snakes, well there will be a spare enclosure for one of them.
It's something I will be trying a few years down the line. I've kept snakes together before and not had a problem, just not larger species, hence my original question.
Anyway, thanks again for all your replies.

I have kept adults together no problems and at present I have five female yearlings in the one enclosure and no problems so I can't see it being a problem for you, most people who have trouble keeping multiple snakes together only have trouble because there herp husbandry is lacking which causes trouble that they then blame on pairing up rather than there own inabilities. They then inform others not to pair up. Over many yrs going to zoos and reptile parks and never once have I seen only one python in a tank, normally 3 or 4 snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back