Which second-hand small car?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Corolla voter Ren, can't kill them with a big stick...believe me, I've tried! Almost as ledendary as the Hilux/ Landy...funny, they're by the same company!:).

Nah mate, Landy's are not toyota..... they are landrover! Big difference!
I think you mean 'cruisers!!
If my kids want to annoy me they call my troopy the "laaandy"!

Nah mate, Landy's are not toyota..... they are landrover! Big difference!
I think you mean 'cruisers!!
If my kids want to annoy me they call my troopy the "laaandy"!

Nope unless your a rich kid a Landy is a Land Cruiser....

Thanks for the input, everyone. Now to start looking.

Anything toyo. Stay the hell away from kia hyundai and Holden, nothing that comes out of those manufacturers is anything worth buying

The most popular small car for sale up here seems to be the Hyundai Getz. Easy to get and in budget, but I can wait. :)

I had a N15 Nissan pulsar 1999 model, drove the bugger out of it, 438,000kms later, I sold it for $50.00 (still on its original engine 1.5L 4cylinder, still going but tired)...in that time, My wife has had a Barina (rubbish) an older corolla (worth the money, very reliable) and is now on a 2005 pulsar (great little car, good on fuel and cheap to service)... I believe that you can't go wrong with a Nissan or a Toyota...

I agree with the corolla cents, Toyotas are amazing, steer clear of Korean cars like kia and Hyundai, they're a literal example of getting bitten on the backside if you go cheap, I have a 99 n15 pulsar, you can probably get em for less than 4 grand easy, I spent about 5 on mine due to one owner and only had 80000km on it, fuel wise on long trips to dimbulah or elsewhere I got 6-7L per 100km, city driving stop start etc barely gets to 8L even with a heavy foot, also if you get an older car like that and have leftover cash consider getting aftermarket rims with low profile tyres if you're worried about safety ratings, they grip awesome and I haven't even heard them begin to skid going around corners even going uncomfortably fast around em so just say that will add a star to your safety rating haha

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have heard Kia's were rubbish up until around 2004. Now they are just as good as Toyota as they went back to the drawing board. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

From what I have heard Kia's were rubbish up until around 2004. Now they are just as good as Toyota as they went back to the drawing board. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah I'm hearing the same thing Fay, but I wouldn't say as good as a Toyota that's a big call.

I've got an 07 Lancer (the old shape, not the new one) since new. I've been thinking of selling it since I've bought something with a tad more dash :lol:, but because it's such a terrific car I've decided to keep it as a spare. If I was looking around for a secondhand car in your price range I'd probably recommend having a look at one of these - even an earlier model. I guess like anything, you just have to be careful it hasn't had the daylights thrashed out of it ;)

Had a quick search for you online for cars in your area; I'm only calling on personal experience, but the Mazda's are comfortable, and in cases like this one, the Maxx Sport has that bit of style about it ;)

2004 Mazda 3 BK Series 1 Maxx Sport

I had an '04 Maxx Sport in a sedan before upgrading to the Mazda3 MPS.

Okay, I've found a possible car. It's a 2000 Toyota Corolla with 140,000 kilometres on the clock and automatic transmission. I would have preferred a manual, but as there aren't that many Corollas for sale I don't have the luxury of being too picky.

Is an auto more likely to give me problems than a manual, or is it the other way around? And how many kilometres will a regularly serviced Corolla engine last?

Is an auto more likely to give me problems than a manual, or is it the other way around?

Yea an auto can give more trouble then manual, servicing costs involved as well. There are more parts in an auto then a manual, so more likely to fault. Im sure an auto in a little 4cyc wouldnt be too expensive to replace/repair though.

With it having that many kms i would make sure the log book has been filled out and continue to do services based on manufacturers reccomendations, preventative maintenance is a lot cheaper then emergency repairs.

Rick

I am now playing this game for my son -- He has just started work as an app mechanic --after 3 weeks he comes home and says "I don't like Subaru's they are xxxx to work on " .Next week comes home and says "dad I just found a great Subaru forester for sale can we buy it ? ".. It is a good type of car choice as he has toys that need a station wagon and they have a good solid nudgebar , not really economical (full time 4x4 ) . can someone give + or _ on these cars please

I am now playing this game for my son -- He has just started work as an app mechanic --after 3 weeks he comes home and says "I don't like Subaru's they are xxxx to work on " .Next week comes home and says "dad I just found a great Subaru forester for sale can we buy it ? ".. It is a good type of car choice as he has toys that need a station wagon and they have a good solid nudgebar , not really economical (full time 4x4 ) . can someone give + or _ on these cars please

Very reliable cars. My brothers a mechanic an says that they are great. We almost brought one instead of our pulsar but it was a bit to much $$$. Fulltime 4wd's do put a bit more strain on the engine, tyres and driveline.

Rick

Thanks Rick. It's a moot point now anyway because the car has already sold, but I'll know for next time.

I'm still interested though - how many kilometres will a regularly serviced Corolla engine run for? My Dad is a little concerned that a four-cylinder engine with 150,000 kilometres is on its last legs. But I think the Corollas are a bit more robust than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back