Which second-hand small car?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Rick. It's a moot point now anyway because the car has already sold, but I'll know for next time.

I'm still interested though - how many kilometres will a regularly serviced Corolla engine run for? My Dad is a little concerned that a four-cylinder engine with 150,000 kilometres is on its last legs. But I think the Corollas are a bit more robust than that?

I had a little 1.5L lancer about 2000 model until a year ago when it got run into. Regularly serviced and driven hard.

It had 204,000 and was still going strong nothing mechanically wrong at all.

Any toyotas up until 2004 should be great, 2005 onwards (at least with Hilux's) went downhill fast.

Like I said, my 2006 Corolla has 160+ on the clock...it is as sound as a pound. Now that I have said that, it will probably die LOL

Thanks Rick. It's a moot point now anyway because the car has already sold, but I'll know for next time.

I'm still interested though - how many kilometres will a regularly serviced Corolla engine run for? My Dad is a little concerned that a four-cylinder engine with 150,000 kilometres is on its last legs. But I think the Corollas are a bit more robust than that?

As long as the timing belt has been changed and regularly serviced an older 4cyl motor can run forever ish . my 1972 Datsun 1200 had 400000 on it when I sold it and I got tree time the new value when I sold it .

Wouldn't touch a second hand car ( especially one under $5000 ) with a barge pole.

Asking for trouble ( someone else's car troubles to be precise ) , will be full of rust (all hidden off course ) , have suspect mileages , and clapped out engines and worn out mechanically.

Better off waiting a little longer and buying brand new.

Wouldn't touch a second hand car ( especially one under $5000 ) with a barge pole.

Asking for trouble ( someone else's car troubles to be precise ) , will be full of rust (all hidden off course ) , have suspect mileages , and clapped out engines and worn out mechanically.

Are you serious? Im brought a few cars sub $5000 with no rust or major problems.

My 4wd had 310000kms on the clock an i paided $8500. No rust, all electrics working and most major repairs noted. Ive only just done a major service and its still running strong at 360000kms. Our pulsar was a 1 owner with full logbook which we brought from a dealer with 3yr warranty, paid $500 extra for the assurance that if anything major happens we will be covered.

It comes down to previous owners usage and care as well as having a bit of mechanical knowledge to guide you in the right direction.

Rick

Cool, thanks.

Can I ask why you hold that opinion? Certainly some second-hand cars are suspect - that's why I plan to get an RACQ inspection - but I wouldn't think all of them are.

I'll probably be at uni for some time yet, so I'd be waiting a very long time before I could afford to buy a brand new car!

Try a BF falcon, but a factory dedicated LPG model. Not small but very cheap on fuel and run forever. With regular servicing taxis get half a million k's out of them.

Try a BF falcon, but a factory dedicated LPG model. Not small but very cheap on fuel and run forever. With regular servicing taxis get half a million k's out of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but rego in qld costs more depending on the number of cylinders?

While half a million k's sounds good the increased costs associated with servicing, insurance, tyres and rego probably aren't worth it to you as a poor Uni student (I've been there and learnt the hard way a small 4cyl works out much cheaper these days)

I doubt it hold be on its last legs.
i bought my mitibishi lancer 2001 a few years back and it has about 350 000ks and has never been reconstructed, just mantained. Never had any problems, I drive all over the place and all I can say is Mitsubishi must make some good cars :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back