China Wall

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This area is inland from the central Gulf of Carpentaria coast. At times we were 5km from the Qld/NT border. Donald (Waanyi Garrawa Ranger) and I were to locate fire sensitive plants and set up fire monitoring photo points. We were promised a chopper but it never came so we put in 16 hour days driving in on 1950's mining tracks that appeared and disappeared at random.

DSC_0460_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0461_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0469_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0477_edited-1.jpg

It is hard country, flogged out by too many cattle but it has great beauty.

DSC_0484_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0488_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0491_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0499_edited-1.jpg

A chopper would have been nice!

That mesa in the distance is half way to where we're going.

DSC_0501_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0512_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0505_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0525_edited-1.jpg

Then you come to a place like this

DSC_0559_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0547.jpg
DSC_0542_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0540_edited-1.jpg

nuff said.

Attachments

• DSC_0559.jpg
    DSC_0559.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0542.jpg
    DSC_0542.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 124
nice pics, looks like an awsome place to go bush walking/ camping.

Thanks guys. Bushwalking or camping in this area needs permits from the Land Council and permission from the pastoral lease holder, so currently a no go zone. It is virtually weed free and the plan is to keep it that way. Tourists are a huge mover of weeds.

May I ask what your career is Steve? Such a stunning we have, yet I rarely get to see anything like that whilst I'm stuck in the burbs :(

Thanks for sharing! Great pictures of a place many will never see.

Are there any/ many undescribed plant species here. Also, what species of palm is that? Thanks

BP my current job is Training Coordinator for the Northern Land Council Land & Sea Management Unit.
May I ask what your career is Steve? Such a stunning we have, yet I rarely get to see anything like that whilst I'm stuck in the burbs :(

Just magic! You're not missing much in the city, except perhaps the rudeness, the pollution and the sense of "what the hell am I doing here" ;)
Actually I live in the main street of Darwin in the city centre so I get plenty of both worlds ha ha.

No new plant species yet but the work has just begun. It is a recently declared Indigenous Protected Area and ANU (I think) have sent researchers but they are only just familiarising themselves with the common species. We are calling the palm Livistonia inermis at the moment but that is well out of it's range (and a bit larger) so it may be a new species. When I can I will post some shots of a large (previously unknown) grove we discovered on a hidden spring.

DSC_0521_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0585_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0589_edited-1.jpg

They are growing in a soil-less scree slope at the base of a wet season waterfall with a permanent spring. No grass= no fire so they survive here. Unfortunately there are lots of ferals (cats/ pigs/ buffalo/ horses) destroying the spring and it's inhabitants so we will be trapping/ shooting and fencing the area.

DSC_0587_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0593_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
^ Thanks for your response Steve, top stuff - you're one lucky fella!

Thanks cobber but no luck involved. If I cant do this sort of thing it's not the job for me :)

Australia has always been on my places to go list. Seeing these amazing pictures just bumped it up a few notches. Absolutely beautiful. That picture of the ferns draping towards the waterline is pure gold. Thank you for sharing with us.

If you come to the Territory let me know. I can show you places the tourists never see.

Pure beauty, how lucky we are to live in such a marvellous country of gorgeous bushland and wildlife.

Thanks for sharing Steve :D

You're 15 BP. The world is your oyster. Follow your interests and life will always be interesting. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers Steve. I'm definitely going to follow my interests in life, and then one day, I'll get to see some of the things you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back