4 YO Jungle off food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonx

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently keep 1 spotted python 3 years old & 4 coastal carpets (youngish still) and I recently purchased a 4 year old Jungle Shere Kahan. He has feed once since I got him home and shed about 2 weeks ago. The temperature has dropped off here although the heat mat is still keeping a 27DEG temp however the last 2 feed offerings have gone without any interest. The previous owner told me he eats every 10 days:shock: but its been about 3 weeks now. None of my other pythons have stopped eating during winter. 1 Is it normal for an adult jungle to go off food during winter? 2 Should i be concerned yet? Thanks in advance for your replies.

it's normal for some snakes to go off food during winter, plus you got the temp too low, 27 isn't enough, you need 32- 33.

A heat mat for a 4yr old jungle? If he is in a big enough enclosure (which he should be) you should be supplying a basking spot and not just a heat mat. Carpets are arboreal and love climbing. With the correct setup and temperatures he will start feeding again.

Rick

Oh wow guess that's a noob mistake I do turn down my others during winter a little, it does not get really cold here just during the night. Ill bump it up a bit and see if he is keen later in the week. On the bright side he has never bitten and LOVES being held. Thanks for the advice.

My lil Jungle/Diamond Hatchie went off food for nearly two weeks earlier this winter now he is feeding like a champ again :) Just keep trying man :)

It is quite normal for adult morelia to go off their food during winter - in fact my 3 and a half year old diamond doesn't get fed for the entire season.

Also, my diamond is on a heat mat and loves it, so you don't necessarily need to use a basking lamp. However the heat mat is on a 'shelf' about half of the way up her large enclosure, which encourages climbing.

A heat mat for a 4yr old jungle? If he is in a big enough enclosure (which he should be) you should be supplying a basking spot and not just a heat mat. Carpets are arboreal and love climbing. With the correct setup and temperatures he will start feeding again.

Rick

Maybe not though being this time of year... Even with the right temps. As it stands, 3 out of 5 of my Snakes are still eating.

Coastals and smaller MD are the ones still eating at the moment.
Jungle and bigger MD have been off their food since about the middle of June.

MDs and Jungle are around 18 months old.
Coastals would be... A lot older.

Temps in all enclosures (at least in the warm/basking spots) have always been 32-34.

Maybe not though being this time of year... Even with the right temps. As it stands, 3 out of 5 of my Snakes are still eating.

Coastals and smaller MD are the ones still eating at the moment.
Jungle and bigger MD have been off their food since about the middle of June.

MDs and Jungle are around 18 months old.
Coastals would be... A lot older.

Temps in all enclosures (at least in the warm/basking spots) have always been 32-34.

Yes maybe not this time of year, but the snake was feeding 2 week prior to him getting it an it has feed once for him. This to me seem more like his husbandry is at fault rather then it being winter.

After going back through the Pythonx's first post I'd say you are right Rick. 27 is way too low to have the warm area/basking spot.

Pythonx - you need to get the temp up to at least 32 and offer a feed about a week after you have got the temps all sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back