4 dead animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunshine doesn't kill lizards as far as I am aware
things like the hendra virus etc etc should be enough to show people that viruses and illnesses DO NOT necessarily stick to one species and are completely unpredictable , i think the sunshine virus should fall into this category and even lizard owners should be wary , after all it is still relatively early days with this virus and their is still more that needs to be known

How do viruses like this Sunshine one just spring up like that and affect one type of animal type etc? I know nothing about viruses.

how did such a nasty piece of work get a name like "sunshine"?

my friends beardy died because he put the cage in the sunlight for a while and after about 2 hours the beardy was fried

how did such a nasty piece of work get a name like "sunshine"?
because of where it originated , the sunshine coast QLD australia

B_STATS , they just do as far as i know , bit like morphs like the jag gene just appearing ( not referring to its arrival in aus but the gene itself

Have you acquired any new critters in the last six months?
No newbies. And if I had they would be quArantieed anyways. Still awaiting answers from the vet. Had a post mortem and samples sent of to the lab. Should be in by Monday. I don't think I will jump on the sunshine wagon just yet though, but if that's what it is, is there a way to get rid of it?

No newbies. And if I had they would be quArantieed anyways. Still awaiting answers from the vet. Had a post mortem and samples sent of to the lab. Should be in by Monday. I don't think I will jump on the sunshine wagon just yet though, but if that's what it is, is there a way to get rid of it?
Yeah I would not jump on any wagon yet until you have tested facts. I would hate to be in your situation.

things like the hendra virus etc etc should be enough to show people that viruses and illnesses DO NOT necessarily stick to one species and are completely unpredictable , i think the sunshine virus should fall into this category and even lizard owners should be wary , after all it is still relatively early days with this virus and their is still more that needs to be known

I have shown a lot of interest in reading up on Hendra. It has been proven to jump species - only from the horse, though, as far as they know. But Hendra is a paramyxovirus - the same type of virus that is responsible for kennel cough in dogs, OPMV in snakes, measles, German measles. If it can jump from horses to humans or dogs, and other animals have also tested positive, reptiles can't be ruled out. They just haven't been tested, yet.

ITs OPMV. Newest snake to collection was the last one dead. Had her for more than one year. I'm very worried about the rest of them but from what I understood from the vet there is nothing to do but wait it out and hope the rest is not infected

ITs OPMV. Newest snake to collection was the last one dead. Had her for more than one year. I'm very worried about the rest of them but from what I understood from the vet there is nothing to do but wait it out and hope the rest is not infected

Seems very fast to get a result of OPMV.Do you know what tests were done? Have you been in contact with another collection or has somebody with a collection been in contact with yours? Have you had a problem with mites in the last 12 months or so?

Seems very fast to get a result of OPMV.Do you know what tests were done? Have you been in contact with another collection or has somebody with a collection been in contact with yours? Have you had a problem with mites in the last 12 months or so?
I don't know what tests where done, but I get the lab report soon , if it tells what's been done I tell. And nope, no contact with other collections and no mites. They didn't isolate excactly what virus but the vet called it an opmv type virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back