Ear gauges, they finally make sense!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Saw this and now I understand!!

e8ms2a.jpg

Haha awesome. I had mine up to 28mm but my daughter kept pulling on them..back down to 12 mm now

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Go Becca! I wish I was that adventurous, I went to 10mm and then back to none.

Maybe I was born to soon but those things don't make any sense to me even if you can give your lizard somewhere to hang out !

Also, 'ear gauges' is insanely incorrect english.
A gauge is a unit of measurement, or measuring device - may as well call them 'ear tape measures'.
The reason for the confusion is the basic lack of education of kids these days, as up to a certain size(00ga - or 10mm) the jewelry - NOT the ear itself - is measured by gauge. Like sheet steel.
After 00ga, measurements move to either mm or inch fractions. Sadly a lot of people these days are either ignorant, misinformed or just plain stupid and get it wrong.
As a former piercer and a grammar nazi at times it drives me completely insane when people call my ears(which are at 28mm or 1 1/8") 'gauges'. It's usually at that point I stop talking to someone and just walk away...

Also, 'ear gauges' is insanely incorrect english.
A gauge is a unit of measurement, or measuring device - may as well call them 'ear tape measures'.
The reason for the confusion is the basic lack of education of kids these days, as up to a certain size(00ga - or 10mm) the jewelry - NOT the ear itself - is measured by gauge. Like sheet steel.
After 00ga, measurements move to either mm or inch fractions. Sadly a lot of people these days are either ignorant, misinformed or just plain stupid and get it wrong.
As a former piercer and a grammar nazi at times it drives me completely insane when people call my ears(which are at 28mm or 1 1/8") 'gauges'. It's usually at that point I stop talking to someone and just walk away...

I just know them as "tunnels" or "stretches", never heard people call them gauges. And yes I do know that gauge is a size measurement. I don't have any myself so maybe I'm not up to date with current generation slang.

Rick

I just know them as "tunnels" or "stretches", never heard people call them gauges. And yes I do know that gauge is a size measurement. I don't have any myself so maybe I'm not up to date with current generation slang.

Rick

It's not current generation slang - it's just correct terminology. Tunnels or plugs depending what jewelry worn is widely accepted, as are stretches too even though it just sounds irksome.

Rick

It's not current generation slang - it's just correct terminology. Tunnels or plugs depending what jewelry worn is widely accepted as the right description, as are stretches too even though it just sounds irksome.

Well, I might be a too old see why anyone who doesn't come from a culture where "ear gauges" are the tradition would have them , so I still think they just a stupid fad.

I'd love a couple of those little green lizards though (anoles ??).

Last edited:
Well, I might be a too old see why anyone who doesn't come from a culture where "ear gauges" are the tradition and I still think they just a stupid fad.

I've love a couple of those little green lizards though (anoles ??).

Oh well, every generation has their stupid fad, I've had stretched ears since I was 14 (now 21), and I'm planning on going bigger. I don't regret them yet! :D

Thankfully it wasn't a Prince Albert:lol:

OOOPPPssss that's a snake piercing not a lizard :oops:

Well, I might be a too old see why anyone who doesn't come from a culture where "ear gauges" are the tradition would have them , so I still think they just a stupid fad.

I'd love a couple of those little green lizards though (anoles ??).

Yeah, the 17 years I've had mine for is surely just a fad...

8 years. Not as long as some but its not something ill grow out of or anything lol

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I'd still have mine in if I hadn't taken them out to find a job. Don't think current work would mind. Got up to 32mm, could've got a decent snake through there.

I have 20mms, and because I work at a mine site, we use isolation locks.

Supervisor offered a carton on anyone who could get a lock in it >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back