Renting with reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Was just curious what people know about this as I have been told as they are not a domestic pet and live in containment, like a fish for example that you don't have to declare them on your lease. I only have 1 python so I doubt it would really be a problem and it would be easy to conceal her if I had to anyway..

I declared mine when I filled out the application form but was told I didnt have to when I went in to sign the lease

Sent from my GT-N7000

Which state are you in sorry? I forgot to mention im in NSW, But still thats great news! Thanks!

i told my real estate and they said i had to declaired it and they requested a copy of my reptile license and exact number of reptiles then 1 week later said it was ok, 6 months later told me i had to move all reptiles except 4 to the shed or garage. i'm in nsw.

i also thought i did not have to tell them as they are in enclosures and locked. but apparently you do with my real estate anyway, including fish tanks.

Last edited:
i told my real estate and they said i had to declaired it and they requested a copy of my reptile licenseand exact number of reptiles then 1 week later said it was ok, 6 months later told me i had to move all reptiles except 4 to the shed or garage. i'm in nsw.

i also thought i did not have to tell them as they are in enclosures and locked. but apparently you do with my realestate anyway, including fish tanks.

It may just vary then.

Look up the laws and google the renters guide/handbook. A realestate cannot stop u from owning a pet. As they provide wellbeing. Ill try and hunt it down. How can an animal in a cage cause problems. Oh and with birds they will try the old "the seads bring mice".
Ill post as soon as I find it...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm not sure with the state variation etc. but I rent in QLD with my snake in the lounge room. I have a fairly good relationship with the real estate agent, I always pay rent on time and keep the place tidy so they sort of overlook the fact that I'm not suppose to have animals inside (aside from my dogs unfortunately). I think it depends on the landlord of the property and the 'strictness' (?) of the agent. For my first inspection I just have the snake where it usually is in the house, see if they notice it or not, if they do, just say that you will move it outside or remove it from the property but just hide it on inspection day. My real estate agent was actually quiet curious about my Childreni when I had him and even asked to see him. I do live in a smallish rural town so that may explain why the real estate is a little more lenient.

I never asked for permission. I've only got a spotty in a 2 ft enclosure so I just put it in the closet glass facing the wall on inspection days. Lately I have just been unplugging it and putting it on the floor facing the wall so it looks like its just an empty enclosure sitting there. I have never been asked about it.

Moving into my own place the week after next so won't be a problem amymore thankfully.

I keep two Pythons in a rental that states no pets allowed. Their enclosures are basically furniture and I'm a great tenant so the real estate didn't care.

I usually say I have an x amount of tanks/vivariums, but never what's in them. The real estate never seems to question that. However a few properties we been to the owners has come through on inspection day and one was terrified and said she could never live in the house again. Never heard anything more about it though

Reptiles are considered a hobby so they are not classed as pet so you can keep them in nsw

I'm in nsw and I have 4 pythons and a goanna living in my rental house. The real estate said they did not care as long as they didn't stink. I guess they are more or less like fish tanks..
Your best bet would be to ask; it differs from real estate to real estate..

My rental is also 'no pets allowed'.

I'd say it depends on the real estate agent and the landlord. When I lived in Victoria I asked my agent if I could keep a snake. The response was a flat "No pets". I was irked to say the least. I'd been in the place for three years, it was in a better state than it was when I moved in and I always paid the rent on time. I got the snake anyway, a hatchy stimmie, hid the click-clack on inspection days and they were none the wiser.

In Queensland I've had two great landlords who are happy for me to keep my stimmie and my beardie.

I wouldn't say anything. 1 python is nothing and easy to hide if necessary.

I have been wondering this as well, my real estate done an inspection and said I had to get rid of one dog and the birds as the owner didn't want more then one dog in the yard and didn't want birds... So we had to explain to the kids why one of the dogs had to go to a new family and their birds. They didn't go right through the house so they didn't see my pythons. But worried they might kick up a stink :(

Got complimented on my fish tanks by the real estate lady. Haven't seen the snakes yet but I'll probably just put them in the cupboard, easy to do and they're legally not allowed to go into your cupboards

It will be the landlords decision , often after the advice of the realestate agent. Generally landlords and agents look for tenants which are least likely to cause problems or potential damage. Trust is always a good starting point, so if you start hiding the facts it may not lead to a long term relationship. To my knowledge our office has not knocked back a tenant because they wanted to keep reptiles.

I think it will also depend on the aesthetics of your collection. I've been to some peoples collections where the cages match, are all relatively well built and tidy but the majority are usually an assortment of different home build cages that look messy and are not very appealing to the eye. I would think that if you are renting and put some effort into making your setup nice and tidy it will be more likely to go in your favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back