venomous snake question. Nsw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schultze1986

Reaction score
I have a class 1 rep licence have held since 2010.
I rang NPWS today to enquire about what i need to do to get a red belly black snake.
I was told that i need to hold a class 2 rep for a year an that i could then apply for a venomous rep licence an could get a red belly black.
I ask is this right. As far as what i've been told i can get a class 2 get a rough scaled python then in a years time purchase a red belly. Even though the two snakes in no way are similar nor does it teach you anything. If this is the case you may as well be able to get a red belly directly after you have held a snake after two years. Any info from people who hold or have held red bellies would be greatly appreciated.

my grand pa had one. im in vic but he needed his class 2 for a year and during that year he had training to handle them but then again im in vic.

The system is set up the way it is for a couple of reasons. What people often forget is that, while they’re not considered “deadly”, R3 animals are still dangerous. So, even though the system may be annoying and seem like a lot of red tape, it is there (in part) to help protect people. You also need a number of other things before progressing from R2 to R3. You don’t automatically just jump up after that year.
They do make exceptions for people to skip R2 and go straight to R3 (I did this) but that isn’t the norm and you need a strong supporting case (eg a large number of years keeping and specific handling courses). I don’t work at OEH but I am guessing your relatively short time on R1 would be a factor in them not letting you jump straight up.

Yeah I'd do an elapid training course before doing anything.

I have a class 1 rep licence have held since 2010.
I rang NPWS today to enquire about what i need to do to get a red belly black snake.
I was told that i need to hold a class 2 rep for a year an that i could then apply for a venomous rep licence an could get a red belly black.
I ask is this right. As far as what i've been told i can get a class 2 get a rough scaled python then in a years time purchase a red belly. Even though the two snakes in no way are similar nor does it teach you anything. If this is the case you may as well be able to get a red belly directly after you have held a snake after two years. Any info from people who hold or have held red bellies would be greatly appreciated.

Yep that is right schultzw1986. I don't understand what you see wrong, but you cannot keep venomous snakes until you have a Class 2 licence, and have held that licence for more than a year. But it doesn't stop there. You may find you'll be asked for references to prove that you have kept snakes in the time frame, not just had a piece of paper for that long.

Actually that is incorrect.
If you read the guidlines for an advanced reptile license you need to have your class 1 license for 2 years to get class 2.
And hold your class 2 license too apply for a class 3 license.

However you ALSO need to have shown experince and and have recorded having a species from a similar CLASS of native animnal for at least ONE year.
AKA to get an ELAPID class snake you need to have kept a class 1 elapid for at least one year. Holding a class 1 PYTHON for a year will not qualify you for a class 2/3 ELAPID.

Rediculous system, after the amnesty I had a class 5 licence since I had inland tais, tigers death adders etc I now have a class one as I only have pythons for my kids a few lizards(25) and now if I want a red bellie black they have told me I need to wait 1 yr after I get my class 2. I needed to show no experience during amnesty and got a class five now I have 15 yrs more experience and have to wait 1yr because there records don't show I have experience, morons is what I think they should be called not npws

I stopped keeping reps for two yrs while I travelled the world riding horses then when I got back I got in touch with a lot of the people I gave animals to then found out I had to reapply for new licence new number etc all I could get was a class 1 which didn't worry me as I was only doing it for my young kids now however I want to get back into death adders but its just way to hard, I have death adders waiting for me at a mates place but can't get the licence for ages and they will probably want me to do courses

So i need to keep elapids class 1, class 2 then class 3.
The way it was explained to me by npws was class one and 2. keep a snake for a year. Rough scaled python is what i suggested and then after a year i can apply for my class 3. I was planning on doing a elapid handling course for those that have mentioned it. I just wish i could get proper clarification so i dont wait a year to be told i still cant get one. It seams the people in control of the licencing may be giving me false information.

I'm fairly certain you don't need to have kept class 1 or 2 elapids. There is a condition in going from R1 to R2 that yo have to have kept the same type of animal, which is probably why they suggested pythons to you if that's what you've been keeping. To go from R2 to R3 though you just need to have kept snakes. They would look favourably on you if you did but I'm almost certain it's not a compulsory requirement. Have a look at the advanced licence application. It might be clearer after you read that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back