Moving house...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disintegratus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, I'm moving in less than a week. The snakes are all sorted, I have bags and boxes ready to go (each snake in a bag, each bag in its own box) I'm moving on Tuesday, packing the truck on Monday, so will bag them up on Sunday night/Monday Morning.
What I'd like some advice about is the water monitor and the turtle. Because I'd like to take the cycled water with me, I'm looking at draining the tank on Sunday afternoon, so they'd be boxed from Sunday afternoon.
Is that too long? Does anyone have any suggestions to make the whole ordeal less painful for everyone involved?

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the water at all. Focus on keeping the media in the filter wet and aerated. I'd get a bucket with a lid, chuck all the media into it and fill the bucket up with tank water, drill a few holes in the top then put an air pump with an air stone attached in to keep the water moving through the media.

I'd still say this is a bit over the top, but better safe than sorry

I really wouldn't worry about the water, considering neither turtle or monitor have gills & breathe thru water.
If anything maybe just have a couple buckets of water already waiting at the new place.

I really wouldn't worry about the water, considering neither turtle or monitor have gills & breathe thru water.
If anything maybe just have a couple buckets of water already waiting at the new place.

Its got to do with keeping up a colony of bacteria circulating the tank. (the bacteria is good)

I'm lucky enough that my filter has taps, so I'm pretty much just going to turn it off and transport it as is. The main reason behind wanting to take the water is partly because there's a whole bunch of plants in it, plus I think there are still a few feeders floating around in there. I don't mind so much only taking a bucket or two of the water, I'm more concerned about how long the critters are going to be boxed for, as the tank they're in is one of the big ones and will have to be loaded first so it can rest against the backboard of the truck.

Its got to do with keeping up a colony of bacteria circulating the tank. (the bacteria is good)

I do understand the need for good bacteria in a tank...especially if it's for fish & the break down of their wastes.
I'm just simply stating for turtles & monitors, a fresh start with dechlorinated water would be more beneficial than worrying about the need to transporting their existing water (& bacteria colony). There's also products on the market that quickly establish bacteria in new tanks.

I'm lucky enough that my filter has taps, so I'm pretty much just going to turn it off and transport it as is. The main reason behind wanting to take the water is partly because there's a whole bunch of plants in it, plus I think there are still a few feeders floating around in there. I don't mind so much only taking a bucket or two of the water, I'm more concerned about how long the critters are going to be boxed for, as the tank they're in is one of the big ones and will have to be loaded first so it can rest against the backboard of the truck.

I have to move too and I know this is off topic but personally I would trust any removalist company with my tans as they broke my custom tank with a water section and like plants etc and most of our stuff near the tank was soaking wet and muddy or just ruined

I'm more concerned about how long the critters are going to be boxed for, as the tank they're in is one of the big ones and will have to be loaded first so it can rest against the backboard of the truck.

How long do you think the move, unpacking & setting up the tank again will take?

I have to move too and I know this is off topic but personally I would trust any removalist company with my tans as they broke my custom tank with a water section and like plants etc and most of our stuff near the tank was soaking wet and muddy or just ruined

I've hired a truck, but we'll be doing all the moving ourselves. Not only can I not afford removalists, but I find the thought of strangers moving all my stuff really skeevy.

How long do you think the move, unpacking & setting up the tank again will take?

From the time they're put in a box to back in their tanks, should be 2 days. Sunday afternoon through til Tuesday afternoon. The only other option is to drain the tank after I finish work on Sunday, but it's easier for me if I do it before work. It's an extra 8-9 hours in a box though, so I'll probably end up draining the tank after work.

Turtles are pretty hardy but yeah I don't know much about how stressed the monitor will be.
I'm sure everything will be fine...good luck in the move.

Turtles are pretty hardy but yeah I don't know much about how stressed the monitor will be.
I'm sure everything will be fine...good luck in the move.

I'm pretty sure he'll be fine, I'm just stressing unnecessarily. He once spent 3 weeks living under my chest of drawers because I accidentally left the tank open for 20 minutes and I couldn't find where he was hiding. I knew he was in my room, I just couldn't figure out where he was hiding. I could hear him going about his business at night, but by the time I got a light on and got out of bed, he'd have disappeared again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back