Renting with reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A landlord has no legal ground to stand on in regards to having animals on the property. They can state 'no pets' in the ad but that is just a preference as to whom they want to rent the house. As stated in the previously posted article unless the pet is a nuisance or damages the property and the owner can prove it to the tribunal then there is nothing they can do about it.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any owner that would go through the time, effort and cost to evict you having a snake or ten on the property. :)

In saying this I always let my landlords know about my dog, turtles, fish, chickens, rooster, and snakes when I was signing the lease and none ever had a problem. Luckily I own now and don't have to deal with them anymore. Real estate agents are lower than used car salesmen and property managers are even worse. Don't believe a word they tell you. :)

There are other ways they can get rid of a tenant. They can just tell you they plan to renovate, or they can fail to renew your lease.

When negotiating a lease and talking about pets or submitting an application I just say "what about aquariums and things? Do I need to include those". I've never had any response other than "no that's fine". So technically I covered it with the "and things" bit if they ever question me about it later on.

I have been wondering this as well, my real estate done an inspection and said I had to get rid of one dog and the birds as the owner didn't want more then one dog in the yard and didn't want birds... So we had to explain to the kids why one of the dogs had to go to a new family and their birds. They didn't go right through the house so they didn't see my pythons. But worried they might kick up a stink :(

Thats sad, funny you say that, my beautiful girl went missing 14months ago when i left her with friends to go on a holiday for a week, she lasted 3 days and broke out the yard, got a phone call two days ago stating she had been found and was at the vet, i already have two dogs as id replaced her, and now have three, my realestate say only two small dogs and shes a medium/big. so im nervous to wait for an answer on her being able to stay, i couldnt lose her again, but hey, im happy to play the hiding game when its inspection time, i already hide 2 cats 2 snakes 2 birds so whats adding a dog gonna do lol.

Last edited:
When negotiating a lease and talking about pets or submitting an application I just say "what about aquariums and things? Do I need to include those". I've never had any response other than "no that's fine". So technically I covered it with the "and things" bit if they ever question me about it later on.
I think if you read the lease which you sign you are not covered by "and things". Pets allowable need to be specified on the lease. There is good reason for that in that future tenants may suffer from say cat allergies, and could be in a life threatening situation if previous tenants have declared that they wont keep pets in the house. The new tenants find themselves in anaphelactic shock after moving in to a supposedly cat free environment.

A landlord has no legal ground to stand on in regards to having animals on the property. They can state 'no pets' in the ad but that is just a preference as to whom they want to rent the house. As stated in the previously posted article unless the pet is a nuisance or damages the property and the owner can prove it to the tribunal then there is nothing they can do about it.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any owner that would go through the time, effort and cost to evict you having a snake or ten on the property. :)

In saying this I always let my landlords know about my dog, turtles, fish, chickens, rooster, and snakes when I was signing the lease and none ever had a problem. Luckily I own now and don't have to deal with them anymore. Real estate agents are lower than used car salesmen and property managers are even worse. Don't believe a word they tell you. :)
Perhaps the real estate agents you deal with have to lower themselves to the level of the tenants they deal with but generally speaking they are bound by numerous rules and need to represent the wishes of the landlord who engauges them. The tenant has a choice and if they dont like the rules can move on to the next property.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the first time I rented, the realestate said I did not need to declare them....from that point onwards I have never declared them. I have never had an issue with the past 4 realestates, they are actually more so interested in what I have and ask to have a closer look haha. I also have them in 'nice' (well I think so :p) displays which can be a credit. My stimsons and dragons are in the lounge room, and my Bredli, Spotted, Carpet and BTS are in the Garage. In regards to the pets usually it implys animals that can cause damage or has pests like fleas etc (most realestates don't know that reptiles can get mites etc). We also have a cocky that has never had an issue at any realestate because it is a 'caged' animal.

I think if you read the lease which you sign you are not covered by "and things". Pets allowable need to be specified on the lease. There is good reason for that in that future tenants may suffer from say cat allergies, and could be in a life threatening situation if previous tenants have declared that they wont keep pets in the house. The new tenants find themselves in anaphelactic shock after moving in to a supposedly cat free environment.

I agree that "and things" would not cover me on the lease. However it gives the opportunity to put it back on them. At the time I'm signing paperwork I get to the pets bit and ask " what about aquariums and things?" In 100% of cases they have told me "no don't worry about it". I've never been challenged later but if I was I'd say I asked when signing the lease and was told not to worry about it. And a few weeks/months later during inspection if I was challenged on it, none of us could be certain whether I asked about aquariums. Did i ask or not? and did i say aquariums? Or was it terrariums? Or vivariums? ;)

Luckily I don't rent any more so it doesn't really matter to me....just offering suggestions.

The real estate I work with has a small rent roll of a couple of hundred houses. Many of the tenants have snakes and to date none of the landlords have objected although the agents do the right thing and ask the landlords on behalf of the tenants.It is much similar if both parties co-operate without deceit so as to build long term relationships. The them and us attitudes of many agents and tenants just adds to the inefficency of any arrangements and often to long term ill feeling.

Perhaps the real estate agents you deal with have to lower themselves to the level of the tenants they deal with but generally speaking they are bound by numerous rules and need to represent the wishes of the landlord who engauges them. The tenant has a choice and if they dont like the rules can move on to the next property.

Maybe re-read what I said mate. I said a landlord has no legal right to refuse pets on a property. They have a choice of who they rent to, yes, but there is no legal precedent. I don't deal with real estates for rent, I take care of that myself and when I buy I screw them as much as possible.

I'm getting my first snake next hatchy season and have a small 2ft enclosure which I plan to house an antaresia. I'm young uni grad so most likely will be moving out to a shared house soon. I am worried as to how it will affect my marketability as a potential tenant, or whether I even tell them in the first place (i suspect this would be the proper thing to do). But for such a small enclosure and snake I really hope it doesn't affect my future plans, as I am really looking forward to getting my first :)

I'm getting my first snake next hatchy season and have a small 2ft enclosure which I plan to house an antaresia. I'm young uni grad so most likely will be moving out to a shared house soon. I am worried as to how it will affect my marketability as a potential tenant, or whether I even tell them in the first place (i suspect this would be the proper thing to do). But for such a small enclosure and snake I really hope it doesn't affect my future plans, as I am really looking forward to getting my first :)

Make sure you get a lock for your enclosure! :p

Are most people renting out of necessity or is it a lifestyle choice? It seems like rent is almost equal to a mortgage these days.

If your real estate is worried about a few reptiles in enclosures than they are gonna be a pain in the a**e to deal with!!
I have 4 lacies and never declared them!! just said I have a few reptiles they stay in the enclosure

I'd love to buy, it's just the deposit that is the problem.
Plenty of first home buyers can get in without a deposit. My brother in law just did it. But you do have too show that you have an income to cover the mortgage and not have any bad credit history etc.

Plenty of first home buyers can get in without a deposit. My brother in law just did it. But you do have too show that you have an income to cover the mortgage and not have any bad credit history etc.

Yeah that's true, but I'd rather have some form of deposit, even if it's only a small percentage. I still have 6 months left on my lease anyway so that would be the earliest time I would buy. It's something I'd really have to research very well before I decided on buying without one.

Yeah that's true, but I'd rather have some form of deposit, even if it's only a small percentage. I still have 6 months left on my lease anyway so that would be the earliest time I would buy. It's something I'd really have to research very well before I decided on buying without one.
In NSW the State Government gives a first home owners grant which may cover the deposit. I imagine Queensland is the same. Dont forget that there are more costs in owning a home than in renting one such as rates, insurance and maintenance.Just because loan repayments are less than rent it doesn't mean you can afford to buy!

In NSW the State Government gives a first home owners grant which may cover the deposit. I imagine Queensland is the same. Dont forget that there are more costs in owning a home than in renting one such as rates, insurance and maintenance.Just because loan repayments are less than rent it doesn't mean you can afford to buy!
That's true.... I don't know how some people get buy in life without a decent income/career behind them. I'm just a sparky working as a design drafter, but I don't think I could ever rent. Bought a house when I was 24 and never looked back. Reading through this thread is very disheartening with the restrictions and non permanency that's comes with renting. We are pretty lucky in this country where home ownership is with in reach of the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back