First time taking Ekans around town

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakefreak

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My baby got a lot of attention. I loved creeping people out

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375471375133.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375471375133.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 243
He loved being around my neck I think he felt safest there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375471505999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375471505999.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 192
That's cool :) I'm too much of a stress head to take Steve anywhere, except to visit the breeder I got him from. Maybe when he gets bigger...

That's cool :) I'm too much of a stress head to take Steve anywhere, except to visit the breeder I got him from. Maybe when he gets bigger...

I figured might as well start taking him out while he's young so he gets use to attention and being handled.

I have to say I don't agree with this practice at all, taking a snake out in public just to get attention isn't really looking after the snakes best interests, considering they are supposed to be kept in an enviromentaly controled enclosure.
And according to one of your other threads you have only had this snake for 4 days, do you not think he should be left to settle into his new home for a while.
If you were to do this in Aus I think the EHP would have a heart attack.

I have to say I don't agree with this practice at all, taking a snake out in public just to get attention isn't really looking after the snakes best interests, considering they are supposed to be kept in an enviromentaly controled enclosure.
And according to one of your other threads you have only had this snake for 4 days, do you not think he should be left to settle into his new home for a while.
If you were to do this in Aus I think the EHP would have a heart attack.

I don't disagree with you I should have waited. But he seems to be friendly and use to me (I have been handling him for the past couple weeks) and before I bought him he was with a family with lots of kids so he's use to being handled

In Australia it against licence conditions to have the reptile anywhere except at the premises its licenced at or the vet.

Here is oz it is against our licence conditions for our reptiles to leave our licenced conditions unless going to a vet, being sold, moving house, etc. I always death glare people who take their reptiles out in public, not so much as it is illegal here, but more because snakes are solitary animals who don't need to get used to being handled. If I wanted to walk a pet I would grab one of my dogs.

Also the risk with quarantine. Most people who would want to hold one of mine have had something to do with snakes themselves.

In Australia it against licence conditions to have the reptile anywhere except at the premises its licenced at or the vet.

I recently emailed PALM to find out if I can take Steve to NSW with me for a few weeks and they said yes, as long as I submitted movement advice for the travel dates... Without being a smart alek does that mean I can just submit movement advice whenever I want to take him anywhere? (I won't be, I like him staying where he's safe, this is purely hypothetical)

Last edited by a moderator:

I was just thinking that. it's illegal to walk around the streets with a reptile.

Not only that but it's not safe for your snake as anything could happen - someone could attack you to grab your animal, a dog could jump and injure it, etc.

people that use snakes to get attention will move on to another hobby once the novelty wears out or they're bored with it

I recently emailed PALM to find out if I can take Steve to NSW with me for a few weeks and they said yes, as long as I submitted movement advice for the travel dates... Without being a smart alek does that mean I can just submit movement advice whenever I want to take him anywhere? (I won't be, I like him staying where he's safe, this is purely hypothetical)

Movement permits are only issued for the purpose of actually transporting reptiles interstate, i.e. a snake purchased from a breeder in QLD and it being shipped to buyer in NSW...

Movement permits are only issued for the purpose of actually transporting reptiles interstate, i.e. a snake purchased from a breeder in QLD and it being shipped to buyer in NSW...

I'm not sure how to read that in relation to what I said... Could you please rephrase it?

In QLD movement advices are for moving any reptile (and some birds) to any destination except for attending a vet. They are required for purchasing, displays, breeding loans, holiday care etc.

Movement permits are for MOVING REPTILES INTERSTATE, thats why they issued you one, because you went to NSW. If you want to take your snake anywhere but the vet - legally - you'd have to notify DERM/DSE ect. of a change of address on your license, and by law it would then have to permanently be kept there...

In QLD movement advices are for moving any reptile (and some birds) to any destination except for attending a vet. They are required for purchasing, displays, breeding loans, holiday care etc.

Ah, here in VIC it's different, they won't issue a movement advice for things like that here - they'd just ask for either a license transfer or an address change on your license.

Lawra if you were going away for a few weeks you can put in a moment permit and just tick the temporary move box and then details. DEHP shouldn't have a problem with it.

It would not be accepted for a day or a couple of days away.

Badsville the DSE is the same.

Movement permits are for MOVING REPTILES INTERSTATE, thats why they issued you one, because you went to NSW. If you want to take your snake anywhere but the vet - legally - you'd have to notify DERM/DSE ect. of a change of address on your license, and by law it would then have to permanently be kept there...

Evidence may help this discussion :) In the most friendly way, I disagree with you.

cEE5U2e.jpg

4uvagupy.jpg

Evidence may help this discussion :) In the most friendly way, I disagree with you.

cEE5U2e.jpg

4uvagupy.jpg

That kind of supports what I was trying to say, the permits were issued because you were traveling interstate.
If you were just going a few hours away in the same state for a week or so they probably wouldn't issue you a movement.
I was unaware up north you're able to get temporary movements like that, thought like here you'd have to apply for 2 seperate movements...

Before anyone starts flaming or abusing the thread starter it needs to be noted that he resides in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back