boyds forest dragon query

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah

Reaction score
i am misting my exo terra enclosure twice a day, i find to stimulate them to drink you need to spray them quite a bit ,i had a waterfall in their enclosure but took it out as they were constantly dirtying it every day . But i am finding it is getting too wet. I can imagine the solid wooden top isn't helping, i have a cut out for the uv lamp and i have a ceramic heat globe attached with a mesh cage protecting the globe. Once summer comes i will replace the wooden top with the mesh top . I am just worried its too wet , i have wooden branches which would i guess start to rot eventually.I am using cocopeat with sand as substrate. I wanted to do a false bottom but from what i have read i gather i would need to have a outlet/plug at the base.They currently live the pair in a 24x18x24 but are moving into a 24x18x 36 when i set it up tomorrow. Any tips would be appreciated. I should add i have read nearly every boyds thread on here.

Don't need a outlet in a false bottom to drain it, I have a 6mm hose that I have run up the back wall and out. This allows me to siphon out any excess water that collects under the substrate.

Rick

oh thanks Rick, do you use egg crate diffuser with mesh over the top.

Hi Sarah. I have Boyds in a 90x45x60 Exo Terra. I use the mesh top all year round with a single Infra Red basking globe. The temperature this time of year in Melbourne does fall down quite low at nigh 'away' from the globe but they seem to be fine. I use an Eco Tech coco peat/Repti Bark base with the peat at the left hand end, where they lay eggs. I have no drainage and have had no issues. I think xs moisture 'wicks' to the bark and evaporates.
I have the medium Exo Terra water fall running, they drink from it and have never soiled it?? It is a bit annoying however at peat gets in and clogs the pump now and then. You could try a water dish with an aquarium "airstone" bubbling away in it, the movement may stimulate drinking and it would be a lot easier to clean.
If I feel the need I sometimes give them a drink via a dropper. If you touch the tip to their mouth they soon start drinking, this will cut down on the spraying and the wet enclosure. I don't think they will suffer from it being too wet however the constant wet conditions may cause rotting and mold??

thanks PetPac, i also have a medium exo terra water fall i guess i better persevere with it, and thanks for the tip with the eye dropper, i want to add some live plants in pots , i have bought besgrow sphagmoss to use along with some perlite for the plants, you don't have a uv light for them.I am using a exo terra 5.0 globe but i find not much light filters through the aluminium flymesh i have on the wooden lid.I think i will give the wooden top a miss then so i have more airflow which would help with the wetness. Mine are only 5month and 15 months old which is why i insulated the tank in the first place with foam and the wooden top.

Sounds fine, I use 5% Exo Terra. Yes additional airflow would help.
I forgot to say I have a small heat mat under the "peat" end which just runs over winter. It doesn't really affect ambient air temperature however mine are laying eggs now and it keeps the peat a little warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back