DIY BACKGROUND 1st ATTEMPT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha that must be interesting! I moreso meant that it's not going to be constantly wet so would it seal it sufficiently to allow for disinfection... I know there is a very good reason for using pondtite sealer, otherwise you wouldn't :)

Just make sure any final coating can be scrubbed. I've seen some poo smearing that would make any toddler proud

It will get wet - how do you intend cleaning it ? Or training your snake to only squirt on the floor for that matter. I've had liquid stains on the upper sides before and there's only one way that got there (he's 8ft of muscle with no sense of bathroom ettiquette )

I dont keep snakes but I'm pretty sure that bearded dragons don't have as much liquid in there poop, Do they

In that case feel free to ignore everything I said ! My bad. I lost track of who was doing which enclosure for what pet /)

Not as much liquid in their poop? Maybe not normally, but every now and then.......
Encountered it just the other day with the 2 yr old female beardie we adopted from an unwanted home. I had her in a tub while cleaning out her new home, and she let it go.

Not as much liquid in their poop? Maybe not normally, but every now and then.......
Encountered it just the other day with the 2 yr old female beardie we adopted from an unwanted home. I had her in a tub while cleaning out her new home, and she let it go.

I hear that carrots make it go really really sloppy + watery so I probly won't be feeding to many

guga3y4u.jpg

Them sharing the two ledges together aha. And not a single poop has been done on the rockwall, it seems like they get down of it to do one then climb back up.

Nice work man!! Looks awesome, I'm sure the beardies will love it :D

Yeah I noticed with my Jungle he doesn't really like to poop on his ledges or the wall itself, he only does it on the substrate haha.

Thanks and what do you guys reckon, a more yellowish reddish background for a desert tank or a more brown black background for a rainforest/bush land tank??

Need some ideas and as usual any will be much appreciated

If you can't be bothered looking at the first page here's a photo of the tank it's going in
7aby6ene.jpg

Hi mate... I'm looking at doing my own background & was wondering what paint you used? Cheers

Hi mate... I'm looking at doing my own background & was wondering what paint you used? Cheers

I used a brown cheap spray paint called "squirts" the colour is "mission brown" and it was easy to use just don't put it on to heavy and do 2 coats

For my enclosure, I sealed the lot- the DIY background, the floor sides and even the ceiling. Several reasons for doing that.
I clean my enclosures out weekly from top to bottom. I may want to put another python in it one day so it needs to be disinfected . Germs do spread so you need to be able to wash all surfaces of enclosure.

For my enclosure, I sealed the lot- the DIY background, the floor sides and even the ceiling. Several reasons for doing that.
I clean my enclosures out weekly from top to bottom. I may want to put another python in it one day so it needs to be disinfected . Germs do spread so you need to be able to wash all surfaces of enclosure.

What product did you use to seal it?

I used Crommelin waterproofing pond sealer- clear.
But any pond sealer would be fine as they are non toxic.
I applied 3 coats as instructed.
It says to to leave it cure for 7 days.
Now I will clean entire enclosure before putting my python.

Yep, need to wash the pond sealer down once it has cured. A cloth with dish washing detergent first then a clean cloth an fresh water, this will remove any residue.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back