Need advice from experienced Woma addicts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavatron

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my adult Tanami Woma for 3 weeks in Brisbane. He's in an indoor converted corner TV unit enclosure which has underfloor heating cord and a small lamp above. Temps are very stable from 31 down to 22 The glass is conventional style overlapping sliding doors with the edges ground.
He was formerly in a Harvey Bay outside enclosure (may be relevant).
Not sure if it's a problem but he is always wavering at the glass and pushing his nose into the gaps like he's trying to get out.
He does sleep but is doing this behaviour more so when I'm around. He handles beautifully and I think we have him out so often because he always looks like he wants out. I'm concerned for him rubbing his nose so much on the glass edges.

Is this behaviour an issue and if so what can I be doing to sort it?

He is just being inquisitive. He will be fine. Don't stress. I don't know what the experts think but I have around 100 snakes so I have a few that always seem interested when you are around and follow you up and down their enclosure.

He's doing it at the join because he will be getting a draught of fresh air and new smells thru it therefore he realises it can be a way out he willsettle over time

While I don't personally have womas, I have a few other pythons. I've noticed that around the end of winter the boys seem to get really enthusiastic about finding a way out. I believe this is because that's typically when a male would start exploring to try and find a female if they were in the wild. I don't think it's an issue, and mine all seem to get over it after a few months. My advice would be to keep an eye on him and just make sure he's not rubbing against anything too sharp/rough.

I've seen a childrenii wear down the scales on his nose before because he had a metal vent on his enclosure and he kept tooing and froing against it (not severely, just kinda rounded off the edges?). We put styrofoam over that vent, so all he could push against was wood and the glass door, and he didn't seem to have an issue with the top and all was well.

hi, my woma did this when she first moved to Brissy for a few weeks until she checked everything out around her new enviroment as all new smells etc, saying that her temps are 34-36 on warm side as recommended from her breeder so 31 may be a bit low, other more experienced people may have more thoughts :)

Hi all,

I've had my adult Tanami Woma for 3 weeks in Brisbane. He's in an indoor converted corner TV unit enclosure which has underfloor heating cord and a small lamp above. Temps are very stable from 31 down to 22 The glass is conventional style overlapping sliding doors with the edges ground.
He was formerly in a Harvey Bay outside enclosure (may be relevant).
Not sure if it's a problem but he is always wavering at the glass and pushing his nose into the gaps like he's trying to get out.
He does sleep but is doing this behaviour more so when I'm around. He handles beautifully and I think we have him out so often because he always looks like he wants out. I'm concerned for him rubbing his nose so much on the glass edges.

Is this behaviour an issue and if so what can I be doing to sort it?

Howdy Gavatron,

This is typical behaviour for male woma pythons this time of year, which is breeding season. Males typically stop feeding, also. Some males push at potential exit points more than other males and sometimes get their rostral area scuffed up or develop an edema. I'd keep having him out like you are, and the restlessness will soon end.

Howdy Gavatron,

This is typical behaviour for male woma pythons this time of year, which is breeding season. Males typically stop feeding, also. Some males push at potential exit points more than other males and sometimes get their rostral area scuffed up or develop an edema. I'd keep having him out like you are, and the restlessness will soon end.

Thanks Boondocker. That all makes sense. He has eaten once and refused once (after constricting the food). I'll have to find him a girlfriend!

My woma does this when hungry also, a day or two before his feed he looks like he wants to escape and then after he feeds we don't see him for a while :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back