How long is safe to use for feeding??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon17

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's, I was just wondering how long its safe to use a defrosted small rat? I left out 3 of them last night at approx 8pm and forgot about them completely, can I still use them now at 2pm lunch today (now) or would I be better lifting out new ones?

I personally wouldn't risk it. Might waste $15 or whatever but it's better than worst case scenario.

Yeah that's what i was even thinking. I've some left in the freezer and will just lift them out instead. Be safe than sorry. Cheers mate

I've got a 'thawing tub' that I put my ratsicles in. I pop that in the fridge the 48hrs before I plan to feed. That way if I 'forget' its no biggie and I know they're fully thawed before I start heating them. I use adult rats so frozen core concerns me due to their size.

I saw a discussion on here a few days ago which was similar. I think the outcome was that they're ok. They rot in a snake's gut so what's the harm? Never heard of a snake gtn food poisoning. I defrosted two rats last week and only fed mine one so I refroze the second one and fed it to him today. Time will tell I guess.

So you's would still feed them after sitting out over night for 17hrs??

Since it's winter and not the middle of summer, yes.

Edit: but I'm a newbie so chances are I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back