Hatchling growth rate.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane73

Reaction score
Hi all, last night I had my 9 month old darwin out for a handling session and I decided to weigh him, the last time I weighed him was 2 months ago and he weighed 99g.
Last night when I weighed him he was 191g, I was so surprised I thought there was some thing wrong with my scales so I reset them and went again, yep 191g, I knew he was growing and I know there's nothing wrong was just surprised to see he had almost doubled in weight from 7 months to 9 months old.
I have only really gotten one good length measurement last week at 90cm.
Anyone else surprised at the growth rate of they're young snakes?

Nice work mate, I don't own any snakes yet so I wouldn't know how quick they grow but he must be pretty healthy to double his weight in two months :)

I haven't weighed mine for a few months.
I only have a little Stimson but everytime he comes out of his hide he just keeps coming and coming and coming.
I remember when we got him 3 months ago he was so tiny. .... Yes he still is compared to many bt he has grown heaps!

he just keeps coming and coming and coming
lol when my boy gets out of bed and climbs onto his perching spot, the last 1/4 of him is still in bed.

It never ceases to surprise me at how quick certain snakes grow. I never power feed snakes but even when you feed them within sensible boundaries it is amazing the growth rates they achieve. Below is some information on a Irian Jaya Jaguar Sibling I own.

27/10/11 141g
18/1/12 321g
20/3/12 565g
1/8/12 1280g
31/1/13 1950g

That reminds me I will have to weigh him as he is much bigger now

Kindest regards

Endeavour

HOLY COW Endeavour, thats some pretty hefty growth rates there, I'm trying to keep my boys feeding in check as I don't want him to get too big just in case he doesn't grow out of his snappy phases.

My 8 month old female BHP is just over 900grams and my male is just over 700 grams. They grow like weeds.

My 6 month old woma grew 20cm last month. They grow up so quickly *sniff* lol

Edit: I know I should be weighing not going by length, don't have scales atm.

I have a woma that's gone from 85g to 550g in 3-4 mths

I have a woma that's gone from 85g to 550g in 3-4 mths

Wow! Mine was 110g last month. How old is yours and what/how often are you feeding him? Not to judge, I'm just interested. I kinda hope mine won't grow that fast - he's such a cute baby :) lol

Wow! Mine was 110g last month. How old is yours and what/how often are you feeding him? Not to judge, I'm just interested. I kinda hope mine won't grow that fast - he's such a cute baby :) lol

She's 8 mths old, I don't really have a set feeding regime, anyway from every 5-10 days depending on how active she is, she has just progressed onto 100g rats last feed. I only feed around 20-25% body weight at a time, think the biggest feed was about 30-35% but then didn't feed her for 2 1/2weeks after that. She's from Shane scarf's line and they are notorious for growing fast.

My 6 month old woma grew 20cm last month. They grow up so quickly *sniff* lol

Edit: I know I should be weighing not going by length, don't have scales atm.

20cm in a month sounds like pretty good growth.
So far I've noticed its easier to weigh, the only length measurement I've gotten was by pure luck when my snake stretched right out, fair between two reference points:)

20cm in a month sounds like pretty good growth.
So far I've noticed its easier to weigh, the only length measurement I've gotten was by pure luck when my snake stretched right out, fair between two reference points:)

google 'herp measure', best tool for measuring snakes ever

Yeh it never fails to surprise how quickly they grow, it's hard to judge when u see then every day but when people come I've monthly and don't recognise your animals you no they have been growing.
My big boy is slowing down no so it's easier now to gauge my young ones growth against him .

My woma seems to put on around 100g a month he is about 17 months old currently weighs in at just over 720 grams.

Update: he got weighed today and has had a bit of a growth spurt :)

7th July: 110g
14th Aug: 290g

They are amazingly efficient with growth - especially when young. One year I had a buyer who was paying off a hatchy and wanted me to pump it. I fed it twice a week and it was soon double the size of the rest. It was very healthy and in proportion - just much bigger. It certainly doesn't hurt to feed them up a bit.

Yeh it never fails to surprise how quickly they grow, it's hard to judge when u see then every day but when people come I've monthly and don't recognise your animals you no they have been growing.

I can relate to this. I moved out of home almost two years ago with my coastal. Last month my dad finally came to visit me and he couldn't believe how big he has gotten. When I let dad have a hold the weight threw him. It was quite funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back