Blue tongue with leukemia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planky

Reaction score
Recently (Tuesday night) I purchased a pair of centralian blueys

aryqabeb.jpg

The bluey at the rear in the photo is anemic and has a protein level of 6 ( for those who doesn't know what that means well if a dog has 10 or under they receive a blood transfusion so a level of 6 is very bad) I have assist feed a pinky rat to help boost this.

It also has a fluid leak from somewhere in the body region, 10 ml of fluid was removed and it was put under the microscope where no white blood cells or protein was found so the fluid is just basically brown/yellow water so the fluid is not the result of the anemia. Also that being said this rules out an internal infection

An ultra sound was then preformed and no unusual lumps where detected,

On top of that it has a secondary infection on the right upper jaw ... Mouth rot.

te5abu3e.jpg

qenehuga.jpg

ahe9y7y7.jpg

As you can see the upper jaw is rotting away I have been given fortrum injections to correct this,

I have blood at the vets in case I'd like to have a pathology test done to see if cancer cells are in the blood

The vet has said there is no escaping the inevitable and that it most likely die from the leak. Surgery isnt an option As it wouldn't make it through the surgery.

the fluid is pushing on the lungs already (you can hear the sloshing noise as it breaths, but there is no sign of ri )

The years I have had reptiles I have never heard of one with lukimia

I have contacted the seller and they have said that they will deposit the money back into my bank account tomorrow

I must also add that none of what ive just mentioned stood out when I picked the blueys up it just looked skinny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
It may sound horrible but I think that animal needs to be euthanized, I can't see it getting better and it's sounds like it's in a terrible way. Why not just end it?

Euthnasia was not an option at the time in case the pervious owner wanted it back for there own vet to check

Tough call for you and rotten luck for the bluey.

If you aren't prepared to have it put down as humanely as possible, then you are obligated to make it's remaining life as nice and full as possible and to give it the best possible care to try to make it as comfortable as possible. (The vet may provide pain relief injections for it if it is in pain).

The aim of this thread was to see what other weird conditions other people have had And I never said I wasn't prepared to have it put down

Well once I had a cat that had Diabetes. I've never had any reptile with any weird ailments though.

Mother in law had Jack Russell with dementia! I felt so sorry for the poor thing, you could tell he was confused..

I've spoken to the vet about my cat, seems to think my cat has some kind of mental issues as he is normal cat one moment but then trying to claw everyone to death the next.

I've heard of cats and dogs having diabetes

Sent from my GT-N7000

Mother in law had Jack Russell with dementia! I felt so sorry for the poor thing, you could tell he was confused..

I've spoken to the vet about my cat, seems to think my cat has some kind of mental issues as he is normal cat one moment but then trying to claw everyone to death the next.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I am sorry for laughing (I am laughing), but are you sure the dog had dementia? There are other reasons a dog ould look "confused" :p

....Sounds like a normal cat to me haha.

I'm not sure how common blood cancers are in reptiles but i have seen a number of people with snakes having tumours.
Thanks for sharing. A very interesting case with what looks like an unfortunate end.

My Whippet had dementia too

My old whippet had dementia towards the end. She was 17. It wasn't the dementia that finally caused me to say good bye to her though. She was still strong in the heart and healthy inside, completely deaf as a post, but her back and her back legs just hurt her so much that in the end it was very hard for her to stand and sit. It was painful to watch. The vet came to my place and she went to sleep wrapped in her blanket on my couch with no stress to her at all.

I lost a snake to lymphoma last year (didnt know till the necropsy)

a friend had a dog on anxiety medication, i thought that was a weird one!!!

sorry to hear ur bluey is so sick,...:(

A few years back my cat suddenly lost the ability to walk with her back legs. Turns out food that we purchased from america had been irradiated before coming to australia. The irradiation was slowly destroying her central nervous system. We had three options, put her down (so far 50 cats had euthanised), take her home but constantly giving her medications/injections causing terrible side effects, or bring her home and see what happens. We chose the third option, and after many months of TLC, she had made a full recovery. In saying all that, if their is a chance of saving him (not euthanising) then in my opinion you should do all that you can. However, if your blue tounge is in pain, then you know what the right thing to do is. Good luck :)

My dog has separation anxiety and my vet wants to put her on anxiety medication. It always seemed kind of amusing to me because I used to have an anxiety issue and one doctor wanted to give me anxiety meds too. Dogs are like their owners right? :)

I am sorry for laughing (I am laughing), but are you sure the dog had dementia? There are other reasons a dog ould look "confused" :p

....Sounds like a normal cat to me haha.

Yes it was dementia, the vet diagnosed it even went to the trouble of getting medications shipped over from the UK.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Sent from my GT-N7000

My elderly mother had a cat who was like that, it became a case of either her getting rid of it or it murdering her (as it would ambuse her and she was already prone to falls- a serious thing for a frail old lady) . It was collected by the vet and put down.

Seems some breeds of cat are very prone to mental illness.

Last edited:
Still no refund. He asked for bank details on Thursday second thoughts on how long I should wait befor I contact him again

Still no refund. He asked for bank details on Thursday second thoughts on how long I should wait befor I contact him again

Band transfers can take up to 14 days some times, normally 3-6 working days though.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back