Darwin Albino

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albino10

Reaction score
I have just pruchased a Albino Darwin Carpet Python for my first snake and wanted to now as much as possible about the snake. I have read as much as I can before purchasing the snkae however I don't know the parents as purchased the snake from a pet store. Could anyone please help nme find out more about these snakes. I have a good enclosure for it and have purchased the right food for it. It has only settled in the last 2 days and seems to be quitening down so far although some nipping happening.

Nipping what? Leave it alone for a while, (couple of weeks) a good settling in period will have positive effect for you down the track.

Anyway congrats and enjoy! I love mine! Put up some pics :)

Welcome aboard
It will be stressed for a week or two, so keep disturbances to a minimum, keep movement around the enclosure slow. no handling no going into the enclosure unless to clean up a 'mess' and don't try feeding for a week.

If you have pictures of the enclosure and let us know what your temp is at the basking spot an we will try and help from there.
Their care is no different from any other Darwin python - they're just a different colour :)

Thank you both SteveNT & J-A-X. Greatly appreciated. I will try to upload a photo of the enclosure. Tempreture is at 30C day and night setting as in Sydney we have been having cold weather. Plus we have a terrbile aspect for sun and no warmth in the house. I guess the confusing thing is so far is all the info I have read about it being to orange or the parents. She is about 60 cms long and looks in good condtion although I do not know the age. Another next question is I don not know about is the genetic background i.e. if she carries any form of defect. I have a cool spot and a warm spot for her with plenty of water. I am confused about humidity and have read I should be spraying around the enclosure a little. Yes I will be cleaing her cage every fortnight. Maybe I am worrying to much I dont know.

If you would like to know more about the lineage of these snakes then I suggest you visit Southern Cross Reptiles

Albino Darwin carpet pythons are generally easy to care for and good-natured. They are quite suitable for a beginner. Aside from the lack of melanin (brown and black colours), they are normal. You should not expect any 'defects' or problems. To find out more about snake care in general and albino Darwins, go to the Southern Cross website. Read the 'Ask Doc Rock' articles about snake husbandry. Read the Blondie story to find out about the lineage in general.

Your warm spot should be 30-35 degrees on the surface. This is best measured with a contact thermometer, but you can also use a temperature probe placed on the floor of the enclosure. The cool side can get much cooler, as my snakes in Sydney tolerate a temp drop down to 16 at night in the cool spot, as long as the warm is the same. The hatchling should keep eating through winter, but you need to leave her alone to settle in as others have said.

Read some of the sticky threads on this forum about taking care of hatchlings and feeding them. There is lots of good info here.

My hatchie albino and het are kept in click clacks. They like a swim and often humidity forms on the sides and roof from minor overspill of the water bowl. This is just the perfect amount. Both are in excellent condition and shed without issue. Obviously if too much condensation occurs it is easily wiped away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back