W.A shingle backs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus20

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey any info on them would be great.housing,diet breeding has anyone kept any or keeping them now?

Keep the warm end/basking spot of the enclosure around 32 degrees, cool end can stay at room temperature,

Feed them mainly fruit and veggies... Crickets/Woodies and/or Mice/Rats (no bigger than the space between their eyes) can be offered about once a month or so.

Try to give them as much Sun as you can. An hour or two a day would be best but failing that a few hours a week should be fine.

I'm not real sure about the breeding side of things so I will leave that to someone with more experience to answer... (Or correct any other aspects I may have got wrong)

Keep the warm end/basking spot of the enclosure around 32 degrees, cool end can stay at room temperature,

Feed them mainly fruit and veggies... Crickets/Woodies and/or Mice/Rats (no bigger than the space between their eyes) can be offered about once a month or so.

Try to give them as much Sun as you can. An hour or two a day would be best but failing that a few hours a week should be fine.

I'm not real sure about the breeding side of things so I will leave that to someone with more experience to answer... (Or correct any other aspects I may have got wrong)

I think as long as they have a UVB light they don't need natural sunshine, debatable whether or not they even need UVB.

So haven them in an outside pit is alright?they have a " Hot Box" to go and warm up in one end but should I have them inside for winter? They look good ATM,not sneezing or wheezing

And veggies aye? Wat sort? Is it better to feed them natural food or that processed crap

Yeah an outside pit would be fine, Shingles don't deal with humidity well so keep that in mind as it can lead to respiratory issues. What's the hot box? In winter it's up to you, if they've got somewhere that's dry, like a converted bird box filled with hay or sugar cane mulch that they can bury themselves into, they should be alright as long as temps don't get too close to 0. But if they don't have anything like that or it gets really cold where you are then yeah you could take them inside.

As for veggies; Bok Choy, Grated Carrot, Peas, Beans, Pumpkin (pretty much everything)etc... I recommend you buy one of those 'Keeping and Breeding Shinglebacks' books from your local pet shop, you'll find it help a lot if you need a quick answer about anything.

if that is Eumundi QLD then dont keep them outdoors, or you will have dead skinkies, unless you take some significant steps int eh design of your outdoor pit, it may take a month it might take 6 but at some stages they will get an ri and you will probably lose them, i keep my shingles westerns and centrals inside keep them warma nd keep them dry and they will thrive

basking spot hotter than 32,closer to 40,they have a preferred body temp higher than 32 so cant raise it higher if basking spot is only 32

they don't need uv light,but do need vitd3/calcium supplementation wether you use uv lighting or not,compared to natural sunlight uv is lighting is pox,and is certainly no substite to poor diet or dietry intake of supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back