Second heat source??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphira

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a childrens python hatchling ( almost 7 months old) She is my first snake, so I am still very much a newbie. At the moment she is in a click clack at around 32°c. I am setting up a small viv for her, but with the heat matt alone(5watt) the temp is only sitting on 22°c. What do you think is the best way to bring the heat up? I only plan on having her in this viv until she is a bit bigger and will be comfortable in the big terrarium I have for her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7105

Why can't you use the same heat source you were using for the click clack on the new enclosure? :)
Is the heat mat thermostatically controlled - how are you measuring your temperatures?

Just increase the size of the click clack and use the same heat source. I wouldn't put anything under a year old (children's pythons) into a viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snowman. What size click clack do you suggest?

Sent from my GT-N7105

7lt sistema from Coles or Woollies would be fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 50
Thanks again Snowman

Sent from my GT-N7105

Just increase the size of the click clack and use the same heat source. I wouldn't put anything under a year old (children's pythons) into a viv.

Why wouldn't you recommend having anything under a year in a proper enclosure? My 7 month old stimsons is in 90 x 40 x 40 enclosure and he seems to enjoy it alot more than his click clack. He feeds, handles great, is it incase they go off their food from stress ect? Thanks, Naomi :)

Yep it's to do with stress and feeding. If they keep feeding then that's fine. Also click clicks are a lot easier to look after. A yearling Stimi or children's can sneak out through the gaps in the glass easy enough and trying to find a lost baby Stimi is very hard. So for the snakes own safety a click clack is recomended. The viv dimensions you mentioned is very small anyway.. I almost wouldn't call it a viv ;)
But to keep a hatchy feeding through winter they need good temps. This is often easier to set up and maintain with a click clack. The OP not being able to get past 22 degrees with their heat mat is a good example. It would heat a click clack no probs.

I'll just add that for new keepers and for sharing information in a public forum we try to keep it as simple as possible. It's of greater benefit to the keepers and their snakes.
There are always exceptions to the rule. But you can't go wrong with the classic husbandry of click clacks.

Yep it's to do with stress and feeding. If they keep feeding then that's fine. Also click clicks are a lot easier to look after. A yearling Stimi or children's can sneak out through the gaps in the glass easy enough and trying to find a lost baby Stimi is very hard. So for the snakes own safety a click clack is recomended. The viv dimensions you mentioned is very small anyway.. I almost wouldn't call it a viv ;)
But to keep a hatchy feeding through winter they need good temps. This is often easier to set up and maintain with a click clack. The OP not being able to get past 22 degrees with their heat mat is a good example. It would heat a click clack no probs.

90cm by 40cm, too small? But I must admit it is a lot easier to maintain them in a click clack.

Nope not too small. Just a small viv. My smallest viv is 1200x600x600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back