Poisonous/venomous

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

Reaction score
That awkward moment when even book publishers don't know the difference between poisonous and venomous...

2013-08-09 10.58.24.jpg

Ha I just took a photo of this the other day at UNSW library. Pretty bad on the editors and writers behalf.

venom poisons you
just because it is injected does not stop it being poisonous to living creatures

as far as drinking it goes about 100 people every year die in hong kong after drinking cobra venom

in a university situation its ok to be pedantic
probably the book should correct that
but in general discussion its a pointless excercise in futility

Venom is poison.

Yes, but venom is a poison that is injected into the bloodstream. So while the book is correct in a general sense, having a spider on the cover is misleading because I'd imagine most spiders are ok to eat.

Is it like all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs?

Both venom and poison are toxins. One is not the other.

venom poisons you
just because it is injected does not stop it being poisonous to living creatures

as far as drinking it goes about 100 people every year die in hong kong after drinking cobra venom

in a university situation its ok to be pedantic
probably the book should correct that
but in general discussion its a pointless excercise in futility

This.

A quote from a website that is a joint project between the University of California Museum of Paleontology, the National Science Foundation and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

"If the toxin is actively injected, as by a snake bite or a bee sting, it is called a venom. But if the toxin is absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or eaten (as by the monarch's predators), it is called a poison."

Venom is a form of poison. So it's correct to call it poison.
[h=2]ven·om[/h] [ven-uhm]
noun1.the poisonous fluid that some animals, as certain snakes and spiders, secrete and introduce into the bodies of their victims by biting, stinging, etc.

I didn't mean to start any argument (although it is more of a discussion), just trying to get a laugh :)

This one will never end. I will never agree that venom and poison are the same, but no one can agree so it's best to just get over it and not bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back