What type of darwin is this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was actually that we take genetics a little to seriously sometimes...

I'll liken this to dog breeding, because it's a more established industry. A breed of dog that is typically short haired can have recessive long-hair genes. Every now and then you'll get a long haired dog. It doesn't mean you keep track of the percentage chance that your dalmatian is carrying a recessive long-hair gene.

Also, we know very well that black is dominant over brown for the colour of a dog's nose and patterns, we've observed how traits are passed on for decades... but it doesn't change the fact that we refer to a "blue" dog as a blue dog, or a black dog as a black dog. If you're interested in what sort of puppies it might have, you ask about the colours of parents and siblings. Sometimes it's just plain interesting to ask what it's siblings were. However, that doesn't turn a black dog into a blue dog. It turns a black dog into a black dog with a blue father. And even when you're observing the genes, most people don't talk about them.

Similarly, if you've got a darwin with jag siblings, it's a darwin. The fact that it has jag siblings is only interesting if you're thinking of breeding it, but it could mean nothing. Therefore, if it looks like your carpet is a jag, then it's a jag. If it doesn't look like a jag, it isn't a jag. There's a certain level of subjectivity to it. (just like what makes a dog "lemon", "roan" or "blue", when there are only so many colours listed on a registration form). Maybe it's time we got off our high horse. Alternatively, start a kennel club. And everyone who cares about what makes a jag a jag and what makes a hypo a hypo can go there and talk about it, and not currupt the minds of people who really just want a darwin python.

Jungle cross darwin, it has the very square snout of the darwin pythons and that's more a jungle looking pattern, a wild type pattern..:) nice python anyhow :D

Similarly, if you've got a darwin with jag siblings, it's a darwin. The fact that it has jag siblings is only interesting if you're thinking of breeding it, but it could mean nothing. Therefore, if it looks like your carpet is a jag, then it's a jag. If it doesn't look like a jag, it isn't a jag. There's a certain level of subjectivity to it. (just like what makes a dog "lemon", "roan" or "blue", when there are only so many colours listed on a registration form). Maybe it's time we got off our high horse. Alternatively, start a kennel club. And everyone who cares about what makes a jag a jag and what makes a hypo a hypo can go there and talk about it, and not currupt the minds of people who really just want a darwin python.

I'm not sure you're understanding exactly what a jag is or what a jag sib is. He hasn't got a darwin with jag siblings (well, technically he does but its not what he's asking).... he has a JAG SIB darwin.

I'm going to explain basics first as thats where I believe your confusion lies...

When you see the words "JAG SIB" it means that this snake has come from a mating of a jag that produced JAGS and SIBS (siblings of jags that are hybrid animals but do not have the JAG gene). When you understand that a Jag cannot mate with another jag (because all offspring die, showing that its a GENE involved, not a pattern thats open to interpretation) you realise that only half a clutch will be jags as the parent will pass on the gene 50% of the time. The ones with the gene are called Jags, the ones without the gene are called "siblings of jags" or jag sibs to denote that while they don't have the gene, they were born from a jag parent and therefore are not purebred animals.

When the original poster said it had been sold to him as a "darwin jag sib" what he is really saying is "does this look like a darwin that has a parent who contains the jag morph but did not pass on the jag gene" or even simpler... "does this look like a darwin that has been crossed with a carpet python sub species commonly found in jags (i.e jungle or coastal)"

When you understand that a Jag cannot mate with another jag (because all offspring die, showing that its a GENE involved, not a pattern thats open to interpretation)

This part part isn't really true. Statistically, only 25% will be dead Leucistics. About half will be Jags and the other 25% will be sibs. Otherwise, nice explanation :p

Ramy, once again you've shown a complete lack of understanding of what a Jag is and of it's mode of inheritance. I really suggest you learn about these things before posting in here. You're making yourself look foolish and you're promoting completely incorrect information for any possible newbies who might be reading your posts.

Hey coldbloodedinc providing the parents are what you stated you snake is 75%Darwin 25%Coastal 100% het for albino
Cheers Liam

You would be right if your assumption about what the jag are correct. The Darwin jag could have any percentage of Darwin and coastal depending on what they bred to produce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back