Grazalema National Park, Spain

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
At the moment, I am in Spain for work. On this past weekend, my wife and I headed to Grazalema National Park for a couple of nights. This area was about a 3 hour drive from Almonaster La Real where we are staying. The park is situated a little north of Gibralter and Cadiz. This post includes a few reptile shots but mostly consists of general natural history types of photos with a number of butterfly photos.

Grazalema is a mountainous place with high limestone outcrops. It has a good trail system and we spent much of our time exploring these. It is summer and temperatures were faily high in the mid-afternoon (low 30Cs). The lowland areas were dry with golden grasses but higher up, there still were areas with flowers and green growth. Butterflies were abundant and I saw several that I have not previously encountered. I found lizards but unfortunately no snakes. I was not able to get out on night walks on either of my two nights in this area.

Here are a few habitat shots that I took along the drive from El Bosque (where we stayed) towards Zahara at the northern end of the park. It really was a beautiful place.
habitat1_zps2bb2a683.jpg

habitat3_zpsb94db23f.jpg

habitat8_zpscc581d30.jpg

habitat7_zps71de3897.jpg

habitat18_zpsbdce04a1.jpg

habitat4_zps3f0d0feb.jpg

habitat19_zpsd5b0c468.jpg

These are shots along a trail that passed over a high ridge and then dropped down to Grazalema. I worked this area a couple of times.
habitat6_zps95f79eeb.jpg

habitat6a_zps8c571175.jpg

Black Wheatear: these birds were one of several that seem to be restricted to the rocky outcrops. I also saw Roch Thrush, Rock Buntings, Common Wheatears, Black Redstarts, Woodchat Shrikes, Hoopoe and Sardinian Warblers in the same area.
BlackWheatear_zps280d340f.jpg

habitat17_zps877a2701.jpg

Griffon Vulture: These giant birds were common in the park in areas similar to the above photos. They nested on cliff tops high above some of the tails. Once it became hot each morning, they would take flight about the same time. For awhile, there would be large numbers of these soaring along the edges of the cliff before they dispersed for the day.
GriffonVulture2_zpsb7ef938c.jpg

Red-billed Choughs: large corvids that flew in flocks usually high up above the cliffs.
Red-billedChough_zps79063565.jpg

Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus): These lacertids were a frequent sight in rocky areas along the trails.
LargePsammodromus2_zpsd762a2dc.jpg

LargePsammodromus1_zpsab9681d1.jpg

This poor lizard appeared to be near the end of its life. One of its legs was non-functional and the scales on its back looked to be damaged.
LargePsammodromus3_zps48413745.jpg

Not certain but I think these to be Andalusian Wall Lizards (Podarcis vaucheri). Some of these were mostly blue but they all were shy and hard to photograph.
WallLizard_zps5fa316c7.jpg

WallLizard5_zpsc57ee99c.jpg

walllizard6_zpsfad827c6.jpg

... busy lapping up water that it found on the top of a rock below an oak tree:
WallLizard3_zps0aace46a.jpg

... always suspicious:
walllizard7_zps6db44d93.jpg

Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas): common in the morning. They seemed to retire in the early afternoon and I saw none late in the day.
SmallCopperLycaenaphlaeas2_zpse210dc8e.jpg

Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)? Not certain about the id. These small blues were common on the same plant as was frequented by Small Coppers.
CommonBluePolyommatusicarus3_zpseba8316f.jpg

CommonBluePolyommatusicarus_zpsac67df80.jpg

CommonBluePolyommatusicarus4_zps02813f27.jpg

CommonBluePolyommatusicarus6_zpsc9d4ad5b.jpg

Southern Brown Argus (Aricia agestis): common on the same plant as frequented by the blues above.
BrownArgusAriciaagestiscramera_zpse4679059.jpg

Cleopatra (Gonepteryx cleopatra): fairly common
CleopatraGonepteryxcleopatra1_zps4c660d95.jpg

Bath White (Pontia daplidice): I only saw a few of these
BathWhitePontiadaplidice3_zpsb10a7df6.jpg

Clouded Yellow (Colias crocea): common
CloudedYellowColiascrocea1_zpsae558316.jpg

Swallowtail (Papilio machaon): I only saw this single butterfly near the top of one of the peaks. I also saw a Scarce Swallowtail, a smaller swallow tail with long tails and white rather than yellow wings.
SwallowtailPapiliomachaon2_zps3cf2f967.jpg

SwallowtailPapiliomachaonl3_zps59723fb5.jpg

Wall Brown (Lasiommata megera)
WallBrownLasiommatamegera1_zps0f4ee28c.jpg

Striped Greyling (Pseudotergumia fidia): common at higher elevations.
StripedGreylingPseudotergumiafidia3_zps8f6bb0c5.jpg

StripedGreylingPseudotergumiafidia2_zps47ead6df.jpg

Tree Greyling (Neohipparchias tatilinus): A few seen, especially late in the day.
TreeGreylingNeohipparchiastatilinus1_zpsf229d427.jpg

Dusky Heath (Coenonympha dorus): common and active in the late afternoon
DuskyHeathCoenonymphadorus_zps82d347b1.jpg

I am not certain but I think these to be Iberian Marbled Whites (Melanargia lachesis). I saw them occasionally on our walks.
IberianMarbledWhiteMelanargialachesis2_zps5af53041.jpg

IberianMarbledWhiteMelanargialachesis1_zps40f8f1e2.jpg

Skipper1:
skipper1_zps5845d583.jpg

Skipper 2:
skipper2a_zps70c036ac.jpg

Skipper 3:
skipper3_zps1daa0ba1.jpg

Spanish Ibex: We found two of these late one afternoon on the edge of cliffs.
male:
MountainGoat1a_zpsb33694c1.jpg

MountainGoat1_zps6bcbf2f0.jpg

female:
MountainGoat2a_zps3c51a6e4.jpg

Stonechat:
stonechat_zps05bedee2.jpg

Flowers:
flower1_zpsdd3dfe60.jpg

flower2_zpsf1adbe80.jpg

Thistles: Their flowers had rigid, sharp spines.
flowerthistle1_zpsbda5fe2b.jpg

flower3_zpsd2b2b65a.jpg

Grazalema, a little village in the north center of the park:
Grazalema2b_zps6119f35d.jpg

Grazalema1_zpse7b78d08.jpg

Awesome Photo's moloch05 thanks for sharing them, not all of us can travel the world to see these far of places and it allows us the see different views of nature that we might ever see....

Craig.

Very cool pics, I'd be careful around those Ibex/Goat things, they're evil, El Diablo​....

Again , you have given us some great pictures and information ,and made us jealous . I am sure that your camera equipment is Very Heavy and you should not be burdening your wife with it , May I offer my services on your next boring adventure :lol:

very nice pic's, especially the butterflies. the pic of the lizard drinking of the rock is a really good one. thanks for sharing.

I love limestone, there must be some speccy caves in that place. And I love your pics. thanks!

Thanks very much, everyone, for the feedback.

Craig, this was a beautiful place that I never expected to visit. Sometimes work is good!

Mathew, the sheep were shy and I only encountered them once.

Rodney, I could use some help with the gear. I carry the camera and lenses as well as all the water and food for the day so the pack is heavy at first.

thanks, saintanger.

Steve, there were caves in the park that had paintings from thousands of years ago. This area has been inhabited for a long time. There were Roman ruins near the little town of Ronda.

Almonaster La Real: I stay in an apartment here in this old village. The monastery was originally constructed as a fortress by the Moors about 1000 AD.
Almonaster_zpse549e661.jpg

almonaster2_zps7a291ba4.jpg

waterwheel_zps66c6d86c.jpg

Almonaster La Real: I usually tried to walk this area each evening. It was always good for a few birds and occasionally a wall lizard or two.
habitat2_zps2d29fab1.jpg

habitat1_zpsdd723017.jpg

Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus). I saw these lizards while on walks most days in the hills around Almonaster.
LargePsammodromusPsammodromusalgirus6_zpsf50e62d8.jpg

LargePsammodromusPsammodromusalgirus5_zpsc20796c9.jpg

LargePsammodromusPsammodromusalgirus3_zps16642092.jpg

LargePsammodromusPsammodromusalgirus1_zpsb37c5381.jpg

Skipper
skipper1_zpsa1c46ef1.jpg

skippe21_zps140d8bbe.jpg

Blues
blue1_zpsf966214d.jpg

Southern Brown Argus (Aricia cramera)
SouthernBrownArgusAriciacramera_zpsbfa48615.jpg

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus)
blue2_zps5e5c3399.jpg

Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina).
MeadowBrown1_zpse2019e33.jpg

Tree Grayling (Hipparchia statilinus)
GraylingHipparchiasp_zps0dff0b88.jpg

Berger's Clouded Yellow (Colias sareptensis)?
CloudedYellow1_zps166f0d55.jpg

Pentatomids
pentatomid_zpsc5bd69cb.jpg

Interesting Damselfly:
damsel1_zps0e37f6b1.jpg

European Bee-Eater. These were common birds but they usually perched too high for photos.
Bee-eater1_zpsd5c9a78a.jpg

Punta Umbria. This is a beach area on the coast about 1.5 hours south of Almonaster. My wife and I spent a night here last weekend. It was a busy place and it seemed like all of Spain was enjoying the beach. I looked a little in the dunes although the weather was not too good. I hoped for a Chameleon that lives here but I had no success.
Beach
BeachPuntaUmbria2_zps26bcfceb.jpg

beachplant_zps230945ca.jpg

PuntaUmbria1_zpsdd6485d9.jpg

Azure-winged Magpie. Common birds in southern Spain and Portugal
Azure-wingedMagpie4_zps3d1cd2b4.jpg

Azure-wingedMagpie1_zps62df939c.jpg

Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus). This one from the coast looked a little different to those that I saw at Almonaster and at Grazalema.
LargePsammodromusPsammodromusalgirus_zps67140d41.jpg

great shots, brought back found memories of that part of spain. Have you any shots of the canyon that splits ronda? the folk on here may be as amazed by that

Hello Jack,

We went to Ronda for lunch but did not drive out to the canyon. I saw photos of it later and realized that we made a big mistake in not travelling a little further across town.

... a few more shots from Almonaster La Real in Spain:
Iberian Wall Lizard (Podarcis hispanica), a little juvenile
IberianWallLizardPodarcishispanica_zps1ac06545.jpg

Small Heath
SmallHeathButterflyCoenonymphapamphilus_zps73f4c57c.jpg

Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
CommonBluePolyommatusicarus4_zpsd39ef4e8.jpg

The bark of the larger oak trees was usually striped and used to make cork. In Spain, I did not see a single screw-topped wine bottle. It seemed that all wine still used corks.
corkoak_zps64b6b97b.jpg

I've completed my work at the mine and my wife and I are now heading home. We spent a couple of nights in Portimao and from there, headed over to the Sagres area in southernmost Portugal. The area reminded me a little of the Great Ocean Road in Victoria with high cliffs above beaches. The plateau above the beach was rocky and supported low growing vegetation. It looked like it should be productive for reptiles but I only found a single Large Psammodromus. There is a smaller species in this area but I had no luck with it at all. I am adding a few habitat shots of the place for those who are interested is seeing shots from this part of the world.

Large Psammodromus and habitat
LargePsamodromus1a_zps0af8e717.jpg

habitat1_zps284d63ea.jpg

flower1_zpsad670137.jpg

iceplant1_zpsfc28d569.jpg

Jackdaw, a small corvid with a really odd voice.
Jackdaw1_zps4ff81050.jpg

Sagres was a lovely place. It was a small village located at the end of a peninsula. The nearby beaches were popular and packed out with people
Sagres2_zps83651c12.jpg

Sagres3_zps49f991ef.jpg

Sagres1_zps22d8843c.jpg

Sagres1a_zps934ff26d.jpg

Sagres1b_zps46e14871.jpg

Fortaleza de Sagres. The fort was used back in medieval times by the Portuguese to train navigators.
fort1_zps85abd225.jpg

fort2_zps4bd94d95.jpg

Sagresarea_zps2ea23f7b.jpg

More great photos from our intrepid traveler. Thanks for sharing them with us here David.
You manage to find herps, butterflies and other fascinating and beautiful critters wherever you go. I love how you also record the local flora and include landscapes of your travels.
It gives readers a real sense of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back