Making "vines" for your snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitisbitis

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am sure this may be old news to some, but after making some the weekend, I thought I would share. :)
This method can be used for making hides and whatever your imagination and PVC pipe can come up with.
Please note that the fumes created are toxic, so work outside, take the necessary precautions etc.

You will need a blow torch and sandpaper. Hold the PVC pipe upright with your hand high above the area you are working, that way it will not bend and be all floppy.

SORRY ABOUT THE PICS, DONE AT NIGHT AND TAKEN WITH PHONE.

Pic 1 is the plain PVC pipe. (Pics were taken on glass table, DON'T work on glass with blow torch)

Pic2 is half burnt and twisted.

Pic3 pipe twisted and lightly sanded. (Sand to get the required look and give it a good wash afterwards)

Pic 4, Jungles have a look at the new cage addition.

Heating up the end and then flatting it on a brick etc. with a bend also provides a great attachment "plate". These are very easy to clean, and when using the same method for hides, use thick pipe and cut in half etc.

Cheers

Thanks NicG, I am not the most creative, but I am sure that with some good sand paper work and twist, people will be able to make some amazing "vines", I like the fact that it is PVC and easy to clean.

From a cost perspective, the propane bottle (Blue) $20.00 and the attachment $34.00, I used 25mm PVC, 3 meter length was just over $10.00. (All purchased from Bunning's) Once you have the blow torch, it is actually cheap to make.

Nice work looks like wood too. You can also cover then with glue and put peat moss and others on for diffrent effects!

I always thought PVC wasn't suppose to be burnt? Could my mother have been wrong?

I always thought PVC wasn't suppose to be burnt? Could my mother have been wrong?
There are two components most harmful components produced when PVC is burnt is carbon dioxide and hydrogen chloride. The amount of each of these two components needed to be lethal is between 1000-2000 parts per million. The amount of carbon dioxide produced by burning PVC is lower than the amount produced by wood so if you are burning it in an open area you will not die. This then leads to short and long term effects on the body, hydrogen chloride which is also known as hydrocloric acid certainly is not something that I would want to be breathing in and can cause various complications depending on the amount inhaled and can damage your eyes as well. I would be making sure I was using a respirator and googles if I was the one burning the PVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back