Snake died after owning for 3 days. :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss. Regardless of how it occurred, next time you purchase a python I would recommend leaving it settle in for a week before attempting to feed as stress can play a major role on their health. Also ensuring the appropriate temperatures are provided as 28 is a bit low for the hot side.

28c is not to cold for a hot spot..... some people keep their pythons at a top of 26c and they aren't all dead, also if a snake takes a food item when you get it home is no big deal if it was stressed it wouldn't eat it. the biggest problem is that it was being ''cooled'' and then it was feed only a couple of days after temps were lifted. the snake in that photo looks in good health and for it to die in 3 days screams alarm bells, even if its digestive system wasn't fully running it shouldn't of died that quick.

Would agree with Jamie regarding the condition of the animal. Just a couple of things.

1)What temperatures was the animal transported in and how long was the journey home?.

2) What temperature was the bath you gave the snake and how long was it in there for?.

3) What specifically did the vet say was wrong with the snake?.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I hope you quarantined it for the time it was at home as it may have a virus etc. I sold someone a diamond python who then proceeded to keep it at room temp no heating then after a week it died and he asked me to replace it free of charge. Because money means f all and my name is more important I offered him another hatchie, I would expect the same in reverse however next time don't feed them for a few weeks looking at the condition a few weeks heated with no food wouldn't have hurt it. It can also be the water you have compared to breeders water

I agree, I think the snake in question looks in good condition.
Sorry for your loss but to try to prove any negligence on any person you really should have had a necropsy done.

The pictured snake looks healthy and you said it seemed healthy after you bought it home. I thnk 28C is too cold for a jungle but not going to cause death in a matter of days. A regurgitated food item suggests there could have been something wrong with the food or the snake. I would not be happy with a veterinary diagnosis that said the snake was sick. I would expect a more specific diagnosis.
Given the inconclusive cause of death I consider the 50% refund is fair and would not bother with heavy handed threats. It seems unlikely that the seller was aware of any problem at the time of sale and has been more than reasonable to accept half the loss.

i think the buyer made some mistakes there,
1. the temp was 28c the snake wouldn't go into its hide and only stay beneath the heat suggest that the temp was too cold.
2. what happened to the 1 week undisturbed period ? the snake was fed the day after, and only after 8 attempts ! 1 or 2 attempts at feeding should be enough then leave it alone as that would stress it out.

it regurgitated 2 days later because of low temp, high stress.

50% refund sounds fair as the buyer contributed to the snakes' death.

I talked to him about getting an autopsy but he said the price can blow out of proportion quite fast.
I only have an old I phone so not the best quality
D2674FE1-7111-4335-B1A5-C5EA5301F2D8-3611-0000027199FB29E8_zps84383d8f.jpg
The python looks in fantastic condition considering its been cooled, there is no discharge around mouth or nose so it doesn't appear to have ri etc. I would think it is more stress related so can you expand on what you had different to breeder eg substrate, click clack to viv, branches, hides etc there could be a trigger or even poison of some sort that has caused death due to the higher levels of stress

What form of instrumentation was being used to check the temperature at 28?
This temp shouldn't cause death within 2 days but what if the reading was incorrect?

Certainly sounds like a temp related issue to me and as others have said, the animal looks in fantastic condition.

Can they die from stress like birds can sometimes? Moving house then having low temps and not being able to hide and then not having time to settle in and then being pestered about food and then not being warm enough to digest the food seems pretty stressfull. Its sad as the snake is beautiful. Please learn from your mistakes mate I'm not being rude I just don't want to hear about another lovely snake that didn't make it due to small stuff that is posted all through the newbie thread :)

If it is 18 mths old then it shouldn't take eight attempts in a day to get it to feed, obviously it didn't really want it and only took it out of annoyance. Mine get offered food then if they don't take they wait until next feed day ten days later. Only after a few mths or if its a breeding animal would I interfere and continually offer, it cause unneeded stress and other factors are determining its hunger.

She told me he fed 3 weeks earlier and because he was super skinny and weak I was worried about him. That Photo I put up doesn't show well but his tail was skin and bones and his vertebrae where pretty prominent. Thanks for the input everyone

Hi guys, ill elaborate on the enclosure,
its a wooden enclosure 2.5 footx1 x 2 high.
I have an on-off thermostat with a steel prong at the hot side( it's about 5 years old but turns on and off still as it should)
i used a temperature laser reader to get readings for hot and cold multiple times. ( I made sure i covered myself with correct temperatures before asking for a refund)
i cleaned the enclosure with hot water before purchasing snake. The food was an adult mouse. ( been in my freezer for a month)
transportation took 40 minutes by car at night with heater on in car snake wasn't in direct path of heater just on seat. ( I am mindful how important temperature is)
as for the hide I used the cricket box outer packaging as she gave it to me with him and he was familiar with it.
i rinsed the a pot and put body temperature water in it. Afterwards put him back under heat. Hope this can help you guys diagnose what happened.
Ill add that I know that snakes can be temperamental in winter and I know to keep stress to a minimum with little handling especially after transporting them.
I use tap water for my herps but after its been boiled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see anything that would kill it in 3 days, snakes are pretty hardy and can take low temps for a few days no problem. If its tail was how you describe it then I leaning towards a virus or problem before you got it. Feeding a snake coming out of cooling so soon wouldn't of helped tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back