Eastern long neck turtle advice !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calysylum101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just after some good advice fron people who have kept australian turtles for many years and have experience with these fellas especially ELN turts.
before you blaze me lol I have done my research as I am a research freak ha ha have to know everything about everything. I have a 4x2x2 tank and a above tank basking shelf with correct heat lights and uva/uvb lighting and heaters for water but I have read so many different opinions on tank sizes I will be keeping 2 of these guys and want a tank that will house them for years to come. They are only the size of of 50 cent pieces right now but obly want to have to set them up once. Also filter for tank is eheim 2075 pro3.which will curculate tank 3 time an hour. Just want sone good hard evidence and advice from experienced people that this 4x2x2 will hiuse them confortably for a very long time. Thank you in advance all comments are appreciated !

I've got one in a 4x2x2 tank and at 2 years old its probably only gonna last him another 18 months or so before I have to upgrade to a six footer.
Two in a 4x2x2 is fine for now, but you'll definitely need to upgrade I. The next 18 months - 2 years...

Thanks much appreciated ! Mine will be filled to the brim as my basking area is above tank which gives more water tthan most turtle tanks will this nean more time before needing to upgrade ? As most turtle tanks I see usualy are only half full or just a little more.

What state are you in? In NSW (not sure about other states) there is a code of practice stating the rules regarding enclosure sizes for different species. For Eastern Long necks that means an enclosure that is 1.2m x 60cm for 2 adults over the age of 2 years with a minimum water depth of 30cm and a minimum water coverage area of 0.72m squared.

An enclosure for one or two turtles that are between 6 months and 2 years old must have a water area of at least 0.18 m2 (e.g. 0.6 m x 0.3 m) and a water depth of at least 20cm.

Obviously if you are not in NSW you do not need to follow these regulations but they are probably good guidelines to go by anyway!

Last edited:
Thanks icarus, giod to know there is a standard set, I definitly meet the standards and above as I will 1.2 x say 55 high x 60 wide of water area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back