Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own with a partner/ breeding alliance who isn't happy anyone knows let alone showing photos of an unproven yearling. Each 2ndyear we swap sire or dams ( for quarantine reasons) and I was the lucky one but he's hoping for some from a similar breeding. I was asking because to me its weird I only got one and can only assume she is a lucky dip win and not something I'm likely to get if I breed same sire and dam again which I can't do till next year anyway as he has sire at moment. Is it something that both mum and dad must have gene for or is it just pure chance. She is the worst feeder I have and as such is half the size of her siblings, most of which had fantastic colouring also. These are pure locale specific 3rd gen closed lineage. I am interested in whether I need to breed her with father or brothers and then I figure these would need to be recrossed against each other to reproduce type

I'd put her back over the father, if it is a recessive trait half the clutch should then have the same phenotype. There is also a chance it is a new dominant or co-dom mutation which would explain why no other siblings show the phenotype. If that is the case it won't matter who you breed her with she will throw more of the same. Out of interest how many were in the clutch?

I'd put her back over the father, if it is a recessive trait half the clutch should then have the same phenotype. There is also a chance it is a new dominant or co-dom mutation which would explain why no other siblings show the phenotype. If that is the case it won't matter who you breed her with she will throw more of the same. Out of interest how many were in the clutch?
26 all survived first three months most were strong and healthy except 2 have died in others possession for unknown reasons. Is it normal for her to be weaker than her siblings

26 all survived first three months most were strong and healthy except 2 have died in others possession for unknown reasons. Is it normal for her to be weaker than her siblings
If the clutch size was that large it would be very unlikely to be recessive then. It isn't unusual for new mutations to be weaker, as they are often from partial chromosomal deletions where whole sections of DNA go missing so a whole heap of genes and functions are affected. If that is the case it isn't easy to improve by outcrossing but for your sake I hope that isn't the case. I'd say you are most likely dealing with a new dominant mutation and hopefully you can get her to breeding condition and prove it out.

If the clutch size was that large it would be very unlikely to be recessive then. It isn't unusual for new mutations to be weaker, as they are often from partial chromosomal deletions where whole sections of DNA go missing so a whole heap of genes and functions are affected. If that is the case it isn't easy to improve by outcrossing but for your sake I hope that isn't the case. I'd say you are most likely dealing with a new dominant mutation and hopefully you can get her to breeding condition and prove it out.
Cheers for your input and ill keep u informed on her progress, I'm a little worried about uv due to her colour was wondering if she can get sunburn etc and do I need to be careful of skin cancer like you get with white cats etc

Most of the issues with UV is due to lack of melanin in the eyes, if it has black eyes I doubt it will affect it too much, but all the same I wouldn't be over doing it.

Dependant on what species it is, it may not need UV - as the only Python that needs UV is the Diamond python.

Cheers for your input and ill keep u informed on her progress, I'm a little worried about uv due to her colour was wondering if she can get sunburn etc and do I need to be careful of skin cancer like you get with white cats etc

I would not use UV on her. A friend of mine had a large albino python in an outdoor enclosure and it actually got sunburnt so he had to reconfigure the enclosure so it was UV proof. Your snake should not need UV, they already get vitamin D3 with their calcium, from consuming whole animals (stored in the food item's liver). Good luck!!

Stop hassling the poor man lol. He's waiting for a grand revealing :)

if it was me i wouldnt even be telling any one about it let alone showing pics
it could be a gold mine with all the pricing for albinos i bet he has offers already with out even a pic hahah

Cool thread.. I hope this turns out well for you. Best of luck..
Im hanging out to see this guy.

if it was me i wouldnt even be telling any one about it let alone showing pics
it could be a gold mine with all the pricing for albinos i bet he has offers already with out even a pic hahah
why? there's a big difference from showing telling people that are at your house buying stuff and showing photos on a forum when no one knows who you are or where you live. Plus people with rare or really high end stuff generally keep them at a different address to their home address anyway, they way reptiles get stolen is because you advertise where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back