Shingleback Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hey Guys I wish to get a pair of shinglebacks at the next expo if I can so i had a few questions:
1. Would a 4ft or 5ft suffice for a pair.
2. What do I do with the humidity stuff.
3. What substrate is good I thought knitters krumble or desert sand.
Are they easy to keep.
Thanks

As far as I'm aware they're not much more difficult to keep than just your basic blue tongues.

Shingle back's seem to cope better with being housed in pairs (or more), although as they are exclusively terrestrial lizards they generally need more ground room for exploring etc.
You're looking at about an extra third of the overall length of the enclosure per additional individual and you should also consider the depth of the enclosure.

5ft+ doesn't sound awful for a pair, but having said that I'm not entirely aware of the nature of the males of this species.

Also, as far as I'm aware humidity isn't all that different from other blue tongue species, just as long as they have a hot spot and heaps of ventilation.

I disagree about the humidity parameter not being all that different from blue-tongues.
Shinglebacks suffer from respiratory health issues if not kept in dry conditions. Not just low humidity is required but a dry substrate is essential, so special measures must be taken to ensure this.

Hey Guys I wish to get a pair of shinglebacks at the next expo if I can so i had a few questions:
1. Would a 4ft or 5ft suffice for a pair.
2. What do I do with the humidity stuff.
3. What substrate is good I thought knitters krumble or desert sand.
Are they easy to keep.
Thanks

1. yes. I keep my pair in a 4ft and they're fine. always stay down one side anyway(warm) 2. idk. mine seem fine just how it is. 3. kritters crumble is fine. I use it for mine and they love to burrow in it :) and yes they are easy to keep ;) probably the easiest pet so far for me

Humidity data for Melbourne:

The relative humidity typically ranges from 37% (comfortable) to 94% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 17% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid). The air is driest around January 18, at which time the relative humidity drops below 47% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around June 16, exceeding 90% (very humid) three days out of four.

[h=3]Relative Humidity[/h]
relative_humidity_percent_pct.png

The average daily high (blue) and low (brown) relative humidity with percentile bands (inner bands from 25th to 75th percentile, outer bands from 10th to 90th percentile).

i use oz pet litter in one half and wood shavings in the other, ozpet helps keep humidity and smells down, wood shavings are fun for burying themselves.

bigger the better for cage size, theyre very active critters.

Ok thanks please I need to soak up some more info please.

A few more tips please and some pics of the enclosures would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add that humidity is much more of an issue if the animals are kept in an outdoor enclosure, as it's usually considerably less humid inside a house.
Shinglebacks should not be kept in outdoor enclosures outside areas of their natural range in the wild and as far as I know, they're not naturally found in or near Melbourne.

Breeders Choice Kitty Litter - my humidity levels don't go higher than 60% in winter (and that's on the rainy weeks). Fresh batch of kitty litter in the enclosure at mid April to brumate in and she wakes up fresh in September. I change the substrate again at this point and spot clean and change as needed during the rest of the year. I live in Melb as well.

Just putting it out there have you tried Google at all?

He's asking people on a reptile forum, trying to get information from seasoned keepers.
Honestly I think APS is much better then some bloke on Wikipedia.
This is what reptile forums are used for :p

Thank you Nick yes I have googled about them to and I know a bit, these questions couldn't be answered and I find your answers are alot better to trust as you have had experience.

I kept mine on sand, 4 or 5ft is fine, and if you're getting a pair make sure they're not related or they won't breed.
Just build a wooden-framed mesh lid and you'll have no humidity issues, I never did and I kept them for years.
I fed them every 2nd day

Hi, I keep and breed shinglebacks in Melbourne. To keep it short , most of my shinglebacks are kept indoors. Ofter them water about one day a week then remove water source. As long as their enclosure is dry they do well in Melbourne. I do have some shinglebacks that live outdoors all year round but best not to attempt this until you have gained some experience. A 4 foot enclosure is good enough to house a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back