Angry Spotty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamtaylor

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Spotty who is just angry. I have had him/her for almost a year and for the first few months he was fine to handle. He has always shed and fed really well. He has never had any trauma or been handled badly, but now all of a sudden he is just one angry little snake. He is approx. 1.5 to 2 yrs old. I have just put him in a new enclosure to see if that would help but to no avail. I have resorted to using gloves to handle him as I read on a few posts that some snakes don't like the touch of our hands. He tries to strike at us all the time when we try to get him out. I have gotten him out on a few occasions and he hasn't tried to bite me and just held him and stayed really still as to not freak him out, and he appears to be ok. I don't know what to do as I really want to be able to hold him and want my kids to as well but the way he is that's not an option as if he bites the kids they will never want to touch him again. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Has there been any change at all to his feeding regime, temps, set up etc?

More likely than not he wants to be left alone for winter, particularly if your enclosure has dropped a couple of degrees due to the cold, which is perfectly normal.

It might be still adjusting to being moved. Spotteds can get pretty defensive sometimes, otherwise known as small snake syndrome. Continue regularly handling, keeping stress to a minimum, for example letting the snake cruise around without holding onto it. If it just tries to get away try putting it a pillow case as snakes like dark warm places and hold it in the pillow case for a while. Hopefully your snake will eventually calm down. Good luck

He is about 80cm long now and he is on rats and feeds really well. He has double in size since I got him a year ago. He sheds well and its always a complete shed. I guess my little guy is just a defensive one. Thanks for the replies. :)

He is about 80cm long now and he is on rats and feeds really well. He has double in size since I got him a year ago. He sheds well and its always a complete shed. I guess my little guy is just a defensive one. Thanks for the replies. :)
Mine was snappy and hence the name Snapper until about 2 years old but is calm as anything now. Don't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back