Heating in summer.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellannn

Reaction score
Because where I live it gets up to the mid 30s in summer will my snakes be okay without heat lights? Do people generally keep their lights off in summer? If it gets too hot what are some options to help cool down enclosures. Sorry for all the questions lol.

Snakes always need to be able to escape the heat. If the enclosure constantly sat at 35 the snake would likely over heat and possibly die if kept at those temps for too long.

Good ventilation will help and keeping the enclosure in a cool room of the house would also be a good idea. I know some people use an eski to set up a cool hide but I haven't done this befor so I'm not sure what the process is.

Yep you won't need heat during those hot days particularly when the temps start to stay hot thru the nights, and as hamalicous says providing a place that is in the cool range for your kinda snake, is absolutely a must. My enclosures are inside so when it does get really hot I turn on the air con, for them mostly and open their enclosure doors for a little while..if you have enclosures that are not to big to move, put them low to the ground to help keep them cool and I use ceramic tiles that have been refrigerated overnight to put in the bottom of mine coz the're to big to move :) and I put fresh refrigerated water in the water bowl in the mornings :)

Lots of us have the air con on and heat our reptiles in summer. The electricity suppliers love reptile keepers ;)
Generally I try to keep the reptile room about 26-27 in summer using the air con and heat their warm spots to 33.
You need the ambient temp to be lower than their basking temp so they can thermo regulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get gel filled cooling mats, for either pets or humans,...i bought some for the floor of my diamond enclosures,..... :p

you can get gel filled cooling mats, for either pets or humans,...i bought some for the floor of my diamond enclosures,..... :p

Are they the ones that go in the freezer?

If you use a thermostat on your heating then they should switch off automatically if temperatures get above your desired level.

A good thermostat and thermometer is probably the best investment you can make in keeping your animal happy and safe.

Good ventilation and maybe a larger insulated hide at the cool end with some sort of cooling (frozen gel pack?) wrapped in a towel. Small pedestal fan with a wet cloth or chilled water bowl in front blowing towards an intake vent maybe. Just have to make sure with that method you keep a handle on the humidity level I suppose. A water bowl in the cool end deep enough for snakey to have a dip.

I'm sure you'll sort it out.:D

Last edited:
Are they the ones that go in the freezer?

no, no freezing, theyre just a really cool, not sure how it works, but i bought one for myself for summer and its too cold!!!

i'll pm you a link.

If you use a thermostat on your heating then they should switch off automatically if temperatures get above your desired level.

A good thermostat and thermometer is probably the best investment you can make in keeping your animal happy and safe.

Good ventilation and maybe a larger insulated hide at the cool end with some sort of cooling (frozen gel pack?) wrapped in a towel. Small pedestal fan with a wet cloth or chilled water bowl in front blowing towards an intake vent maybe. Just have to make sure with that method you keep a handle on the humidity level I suppose. A water bowl in the cool end deep enough for snakey to have a dip.

I'm sure you'll sort it out.:D

If the water is room temperature, and the snake is room temperature how does taking a dip help? It works for us (humans) because we are warm blooded and usually run warmer than room (ambient) temp....

I check the weather reports first thing in the morning and anything over 30 I turn the lights off because the arvo sun hits the massive window and really heats the room up.. I've spent a whole day constantly checking the temps in the room and enclosure and 30 degrees is where the temp is right..
2 of my enclosures have thermostats but 2 don't

no, no freezing, theyre just a really cool, not sure how it works, but i bought one for myself for summer and its too cold!!!

i'll pm you a link.

Please pm me the link, I work nights so sleeping during the day is not fun!

Sent from my GT-N7000

If the water is room temperature, and the snake is room temperature how does taking a dip help? It works for us (humans) because we are warm blooded and usually run warmer than room (ambient) temp....

I imagine it would help work in the same way it does for humans in the form of evaporative cooling, obviously lack of airflow will hinder this but otherwise it will help.

My reptile room hits around 30c on a hot summers day at most (with aircon), when its this hot i either turn off there lamps when i go home for lunch or dont just switch them off for the day.

A cool 2ltr bottle of water can be added during the day so they can cool down when they want, i use frozen bottles outside for the rabbits.

Rick

I imagine it would help work in the same way it does for humans in the form of evaporative cooling, obviously lack of airflow will hinder this but otherwise it will help.
Doesn't it evaporate off us because of our warm bodies? Sure some from surrounding air temp, but mainly because we produce heat. After all that is why we sweat. If we were the same temp as the room and water how much would evaporate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back