Exploding heat lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojomystery

Reaction score
So I got home late last night to find that I had no power. Flicked the safety switch back on and proceeded to check on my snakes as I didn't know how long the power had been out only to find that the heat bulb in my Stimmy's enclosure had shattered and sent glass all through the enclosure :( pulled him out and thankfully he must of stayed in his hide all day as not a scratch on him. Has anyone ever had this happened to them? Don't know if I was just unlucky or if there is some fault in my lamp/thermostat

Ive had it happen a few times, once was a red light in the snake enclosure, (no thermostat) fortunately the metal cage around the globe caught most of it, it happened twice in the dragon enclosure with phillips reflector globes (normal white light) it was so lucky none got eaten. THats over about 10 years of using alot of globes, so id call it unlucky.

Ive had it happen a few times, once was a red light in the snake enclosure, (no thermostat) fortunately the metal cage around the globe caught most of it, it happened twice in the dragon enclosure with phillips reflector globes (normal white light) it was so lucky none got eaten. THats over about 10 years of using alot of globes, so id call it unlucky.

Is this common for the red bulbs or only because you were not using a thermostat?

Not common for it to happen to any bulbs but it can definately happen.

Rick

I used to use a red heat bulb but now use a CHE and have heard they don't break or explode, just simply stop working. Is this the case?

I used to use a red heat bulb but now use a CHE and have heard they don't break or explode, just simply stop working. Is this the case?

I wouldnt rule it out, i have seen cracked ceramic fittings due to heat. My infrared temp gun shows my fittings get to +150c.

Rick

I wouldnt rule it out, i have seen cracked ceramic fittings due to heat. My infrared temp gun shows my fittings get to +150c.

Rick
Yes apparently the ones that are kinda round do trap heat inside and can break, the flat bottom ones are what I use and never had trouble and they can last a couple of years before they fail, just stop working :)

Yes apparently the ones that are kinda round do trap heat inside and can break, the flat bottom ones are what I use and never had trouble and they can last a couple of years before they fail, just stop working :)

I use a flat bottomed one too. That's really good to know, thank you :)

I actually had my ceramic heat emitter melt on the weekend! It blew my thermostat and the globe "dripped" what looked like mercury onto the floor of the viv. I'm amazed it didn't cause a fire! :shock:

I actually had my ceramic heat emitter melt on the weekend! It blew my thermostat and the globe "dripped" what looked like mercury onto the floor of the viv. I'm amazed it didn't cause a fire! :shock:

WHAAA?! Pics?

Can you PM pics? I'm really interested!
I tried, but it just wont bring the photo up :( Its very annoying! If a MOD is reading this, can you tell me why I can't get my photo's to upload on APS any more?

I tried, but it just wont bring the photo up :( Its very annoying! If a MOD is reading this, can you tell me why I can't get my photo's to upload on APS any more?

I can't but maybe a mod can?

Edit: I didn't read that properly :p lol

Last edited:
For some reason I just can't get photo's to work on here. I go through advanced reply, but it still wont work.

I find for most messge boards that if you upload a copy of your photo as a gif file to TnyPic (a free image sharing place) and then just copy the code created by it ( will be
) to the quickreply box the image shows up in the response in all it's glory - ezypezy !

Last edited:
I find for most messge boards that if you upload a copy of your photo as a gif file to TnyPic (a free image sharing place) and then just copy the code created by it ( will be
) to the quickreply box the image shows up in the response in all it's glory - ezypezy !
I am a bleach blond and have no idea what you just said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back