How do you guys breed woodies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibblore

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if I could get some tips on producing good numbers of woodies for a large lizard collection.

- Housing, Tub size keeping them in
- Food - Water
-Ideal temps & heating if required.

Thanks in advance Gibblore

I put em in a big critter keeper. Paper on the floor and a few egg cartons to hide in. Keep their carrot supply up to them. I don't provide water, they get that from the carrot. We are in Darwin so heat is not an issue.

DSC_0051_edited-1.jpg

This colony always has around 50 in various stages of development and provides more than enough for all my critters. It has been going 4-5 months so far with no issues.

geby2edu.jpg

eqavajam.jpg

Food/water- carrots and rabbits pellets or gutload

Heat- heatcord set at 30c on the base of the tub

Tub- i think its a 80ltr tub from kmart.

I brought a bulk order of 2000 woodies and havent had to buy more since. I pull out the sizes i need once a month as breeders like to be left alone. They eat around 2-3 carrots even couple days.

Rick

Pretty much what Steve and Rick have said... I keep mine on paper towel in a critter keeper with sticky/packaging tape around the top so none escape.
Crickets are kept pretty much the same way. Only difference is that Coir Peat is the substrate. 50/50 damp/dry.
Females have been going crazy depositing eggs on the damp side the last couple of days... Going to be fun in about a weeks time.

Mine don't seem to. Even at night they stay mostly at ground level. Of course there is an escaped tarantula somewhere on the balcony and I see very few insects out there since she got away :)

Why do you guys use paper towel for a substrate? I use nothing as a substrate and let there waste build up to around 2-3cm before i move it into a second tub (babies hide in the waste).

I just use a 50mm line vasoline to keep them in the tubs, its a little messy but it does the job an is cheap. Fluron is a lot better for when cleaning out the tubs as nothing stick to it.

Rick

I use A 110L tough tub from A cheap shop (black with yellow handles) with A decent area of fluon around the rim I feed oranges and carrots to my colony on the lid of A take away container. For water I use water crystals and use the top of A marmite jar for that. Hope this helps mate

My colony for 1 kilo from A supplier on APS goes through about 3-4 oranges and carrots A week,

Can anyone recommend A good dry food to feed woodies. I have tried bio mare and dog pro biscuits but wouldn't touch neither

kr0nick;2382940Can anyone recommend A good dry food to feed woodies. I have tried bio mare and dog pro biscuits but wouldn't touch neither[/QUOTE said:
I just feed rabbit pellets and they eat them no worries.

Rick

I breed thousands and have several colonys all set up the same.

120L tubs, thick band of fluon around the tub, half the tub full of egg cartons, three chinese containers down the end.

One chinese container is full of dog food, one is full of water crystals and the last one full of fresh carrots.

Heat cord underneath keeps the tubs at a constant 28 degrees.

I feed out of one container for a month then move to the next, by using 4 tubs, each tub gets a 3 month brake.

Hope that helps.

Ben

I breed thousands and have several colonys all set up the same.

120L tubs, thick band of fluon around the tub, half the tub full of egg cartons, three chinese containers down the end.

One chinese container is full of dog food, one is full of water crystals and the last one full of fresh carrots.

Heat cord underneath keeps the tubs at a constant 28 degrees.

I feed out of one container for a month then move to the next, by using 4 tubs, each tub gets a 3 month brake.

Hope that helps.

Ben
Whoops I forgot to add the egg cartons.
your multi tub idea sounds perfect for A large number of lizards.

Can I ask what brand of dog food your woodies eat?

I just feed rabbit pellets and they eat them no worries.

Rick
Thanks mate can you name the brand for me?

Whoops I forgot to add the egg cartons.
your multi tub idea sounds perfect for A large number of lizards.

Can I ask what brand of dog food your woodies eat?

Thanks mate can you name the brand for me?

Its just nobrand stuff from petstock, nothing special.

Rick

I just buy it from kmart, its $9 for 8kilos I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do much the same. Big tub, fluon around the top, egg cartons, toilet rolls, no substrate. No water other than what's in the food.

I feed all sorts of stuff. Left over veggies, dog biscuits ( whichever brand my dog is currently eating) and salad greens. Mine love lettuce and corn on the cob.
Once the corn is eaten the cob acts as a trap for smaller woodies as they climb inside and I just move it to an enclosure with a thumb and finger over either end. My lizards have learnt to sit at one end and grab the woodies as they venture out.

Different sized tubes work well as traps. A bundle of drinking straws tied together works great for sorting very small woodies.

I used to feed mine guinea pig/rabbit pellets. After they ran out I tried dry Chum on the suggestion of a friend. Since I started doing that, they've been thriving. (I also feed them carrots for a water supply.)

I used to feed mine guinea pig/rabbit pellets. After they ran out I tried dry Chum on the suggestion of a friend. Since I started doing that, they've been thriving. (I also feed them carrots for a water supply.)

Were they not thriving before the change? I've had mine for around 4 months (I think) and the first spawn of babies are now going through final sheds.

Rick

just a question for the woodie breeders, if you were to put a bunch of woodies in a glass aquarium would they still be able to climb up the glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back